Chapter 1

Mike

I'm not sure what woke me up. The hospital room was dark. There wasn't even any light coming from under the door. A dull ache was in my chest so I assumed my medication had worn off.

I stood and groaned, clutching my head in my hands. I'd never felt the same since I filmed the Freddy's Pizzeria case for Sabrina Carolina. That had been over a week ago. The hospital wouldn't release me, but I had seen the episode from my small hospital TV. Sabrina looked just as beautiful as I remembered. Maybe even more so. I noticed they cut out the part where I was attacked by Funtime Foxy, and they also added some dumb text at the end which said to "stay tuned for the next episode." But would Sabrina want to film another fnaf episode? And who would be her camera man if I wasn't released from the hospital?

I took a sip of water from the plastic cup beside my bed. Did it really matter who her camera man was? If she wanted to see me, she'd come to visit. If not . . . I was mauled by an animatronic for her. Of course she'd want to see me.

Yet I had the smallest nagging doubt . . .

Someone knocked briskly on my room door. I made sure my hospital gown was covering everything before I pulled open the door. The hall was dim. Nobody was there.

As I glanced back and forth my eyes fell on the plastic plaque beside my door. I squinted. It could have been just a trick of the light, but it looked like they spelled my name wrong. I leaned towards it. Completely wrong. My name was Mike Hamford.

I swallowed dryly. They'd written Mike Schmidt.

I heard a scrape further down the hall and turned towards it woodenly. A towering form was lumbering towards me through the darkness. A giant pink and white bear animatronic. One eye was missing. The other gleamed silver. The hand where Bon-bon was kept was ominously empty.

"No," I breathed. "No, you can't be here. You can't-"

Funtime Freddy continued to shamble towards me as I backed away. No. No. This wasn't happening. It was impossible. How had he gotten into the hospital?

I heard more scraping behind me and turned. Bon-bon was dragging himself across the ground towards me. The top of his head casing was completely missing, leaving only wires and two eyes.

I moaned, but I was cornered. My only cheerful thought was that Sabrina wasn't there to see me die.

---

Sabrina

I dropped the bags of groceries onto my counter and pulled the wad of envelopes out of my mouth. With my other hand I pulled out my cellphone and set all the voicemails to play.

"Hey, Sabrina," a male voice started. "This is Tony from a few doors down. I've got some information about your car's engine problems . . ."

I sighed and flopped down on my ratty couch as I flipped through the letters as the messages continued to play in the background. Most of the letters were ads. There was one from the bank which I wasn't looking forward to reading.

"Good afternoon, I'm Doctor Stratson from East County Hospital. I'm calling on behalf of the patient Mike Hamford-"

I was on my feet and with the phone in my hand in moments.

"-undergoing treatment for extensive trauma. Patient makes constant references to Funtime Freddy, Bonnie, and other such characters. Patient also appears to believe himself to be a man named 'Mike Schmidt.' He often asks the nurses and doctors for you. If you could please come by the hospital as soon as possible, we'll try to get the situation remedied as soon as possible. Your cooperation could make great progress towards Mike's recovery. Thank you. End of messages."

The phone fell silent. I stared at it between my fingers. This was just what I needed. A hospital trip. To see Mike. I'd ended that part of my life. I didn't want to go back to it.

But if it would help Mike recover . . .

I dialed a quick phone number and put it to my ear.

"Hey, Tony?" I asked.  "Yeah, I'm gonna need a ride."