Chapter 5

I scream as I wake up, drenched in cold sweat. My eyes dart around my bedroom for any sign of something different. I finally calm down, but my heart is still pounding. It feels as if something terrible is about to happen. A few seconds after, Megalovania blasts in the room. Due to my lowered guard, I probably jumped 5 inches into the air. Then I remembered. I set that as my alarm sound! I hesitate to get up from bed. Fear takes over my being when I remember that I have Baldi as my teacher. I am on the verge of crying, but I get up anyway.

   I don't even enter the schoolhouse. I just sit outside the door, shaking. I hope Baldi won't know where I am... My thoughts are interrupted by the sound of Baldi's ruler. I scream and jump to my feet. "What are you doing outside the school?" I struggle to find my words. "Uh, well, I, er... I was..." His smile widens. That sent shivers down my spine. I run away. He places the ruler on the ground and chases me. I'm running out of energy, I can't keep this up... But I have to keep going!! I focus all my energy on running, but I fall on the ground and pass out.

   I wake up in a mostly empty classroom, with Baldi and I being the only peo...ple... here...

   Oh no.

   I scramble to my legs and back up against the wall. Baldi walks toward me slowly, a sinister smile on his face. I'm crying, hands on my forehead. He sees this as an opportunity and takes it. He digs his fingers into my underarms. I squeal loudly, trying to escape his tickly hands. I can't focus on anything but the tickling, which leaves me with a disadvantage. "NONONONONOOAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!" Tears form at the edge of my eyes. One of my friends open the door, curious about all the laughter. Once she sees, her jaw drops and she immediately leaves. Baldi runs after her, leaving me behind. I have no energy, but I see a chocolate bar on the desk. I pick it up and look at its contents. "Energy flavored zesty bar?" Sounds weird. In fine print it says Lemon Monster Flavor. I take a bite. It tastes weird, but I feel energized. I pocket the rest and run outside. I have a terrible headache, but I ignore it. I grab my bag and get out my sketchbook. I start drawing the scenery in front of me, trying to calm myself down. It seems to be working. That is, until I feel someone tapping on my shoulder. I turn around and there he is. He takes a look at my drawing and whispers in my ear. "Shouldn't you be inside, not drawing?" I hug my sketchbook, as it's one of my prized possessions. "Not if all it's good for is your amusement!" His smug smile drops slowly, forming into a grimace. "You should take that back. I only use it for punishment." I can't help but snap back. "I know you enjoy it! It's shown in your eyes!!" He looks at the ruler he left, but he restrains himself. "You may have changed, but not much! Your gaze towards the ruler shows you wanted to beat me up!! You only restrained yourself because you know it's illegal!!" That was the last straw for him. He got up, grabbed me by the wrist, and picked up his ruler. He threw me onto the ground and slapped the ruler on his hand. "Unless you W A N T to be beaten, I suggest you shut up and deal with it." I'm sobbing. "Look, I'm sorry, but it's true! Why do you think I was so hesitant?! I never thought you changed!!" Now Baldi's crying. He breaks his ruler and throws the remains on the ground, falling to his knees. "I... I'm so sorry..." His glance is blank. "You can go home early today.. If you want..." I can't find anything to say to comfort him, so I just get up and walk home. "I'm sorry, Baldi..."