Day Five

Trilby's P.O.V

After the shock faded, (Y/n) and I carried Jim to the smaller bedroom. After we left the room, Simone spoke to us, "How is he?" I answered her, "He's awake, he's fine. Doesn't remember anything, just like I didn't." Simone sighed, "Look, I only sort of half-believe this possession thing right now. But in the absence of a better suggestion, I guess I'm going along with it." I remembered all of the stuff she took while I was passed out and decided to ask, "Have you been going over those books I was carrying?" She nodded, "Yeah, and some texts on the occult."

"Apparently, if we want to destroy this thing, we have to get the spirit back to its old body. That'll make it quasi-mortal. It'd still be dangerous, but not unkillable." I nodded, "We have to find the body, first. And to do that, we have to know who the ghost is." She sighed, "I've been thinking about this, and I have a fairly workable theory." I looked towards (Y/n), "Yes, we've a couple ideas about it ourselves."

Simone nodded, "Right, well, the ghost is something to do with the disappearances of Roderick and Matthew Defoe, right? The deaths and disappearances all started after that." I nodded, "Agreed." Simone looked at me, "So, what do you two think?"

I looked at (Y/n) then back at Simone, "We think Sir Roderick had more than one son." Simone agreed enthusiastically, "Yes!" Then I remembered what we read in the diary, "Because of what we read in Sir Roderick's diary..." She nodded, "Exactly! He makes references to some monster he helped create, and he doesn't mean Matthew. And Matthew talks about another boy in the house, a boy behind the kitchen door. Those menaces indicate that someone was kept imprisoned in the basement." I thought for a moment.

"Where do you think this other son came from?" Simone shook her head, "I want to hear what you two think, first." I nodded, "We think that Belinda Defoe gave birth to twins." She blinked, "I agree with that. I found Belinda's death certificate. She died about twenty minutes after Matthew was already out. I think it was the second son that did her in. Sir Roderick went practically insane with grief. Blamed the poor kid for her death, kept him locked in the basement, refused to even acknowledge his existence. Can you imagine what that must have been like for the boy? Growing up in a filthy grotto like some kind of animal, given no education, no love."

I sighed, "The boy would be completely retarded and insane. He probably couldn't tell the difference between one person and another. That's why he kills absolutely everyone who enters the house. He thinks they're all Sir Roderick, come to torment him some more. But what happened on that day fifteen years later, when sir Roderick and Matthew disappeared?" Simone sighed, "You found their corpses in the basement, so they were obviously murdered. Question is, how and why?"

I thought it over and that's when I remembered the little stains on the idol. Blood stains. "Sir Roderick went mad and tried to kill him." Simone agreed, "Yes! Remember, in sir Roderick's diary, in the last entry? He talks about destroying the monster. He must have gotten really drunk, and it being the anniversary of Belinda's death didn't help. He went down to the basement, and beat the poor kid to death." I corrected her, "HALF to death. Matthew found the body afterwards, and tried to bandage him up. Matthew wasn't the sharpest tool in the box. His brother lived on for a bit longer. Long enough to get a mask and a machete, and to kill both his father and Matthew. Then he must have just died of his wounds."

Simone's voice shook for a moment, "Jesus...and we're going to try and destroy his ghost? None of anything that happened to him is his own fault!" I shook my head, "What little mind he had is no more. All he has now is hate. If we don't kill him, he'll kill us all. There's no reasoning with him." Simone bowed her head, "I suppose you're right...it's very sad really. What will you do now?"

I grabbed (Y/n)'s hand, "We're going to find his body. Then we're going to figure out how to bring his soul back to it, and destroy him." Simone nodded, "Well, let me know if I can be of any help." I looked at her,"Will do." She turned, "Good luck." I called out to her, "Thanks." She then walked down the stairs and out of sight.