Temporary Bliss

When I opened my eyes after praying, I found Nathan standing at the door watching me. I got off my knees, walked up to him, and hugged him. He pulled away and said, "I will understand if you do not want to marry me. I know it is asking a lot from you."

I smiled and said, "Nathan it would be an honor to be your wife."

He swept me off my feet in excitement, and then went out to break the news to his parents. They were very happy to hear the news of our engagement.

I knew I wanted to be his wife but I was also scared because I knew our marriage was going to be a temporary bliss.

During dinner, Nathan was so happy that he barely touched his food because he could not stop talking about how excited he was to make me his wife. I sat there in silence watching him intently and right there a spark of hope was ignited in me that maybe getting married to Nathan would give him the strength to continue to fight the cancer.

The next day Mrs. Clark rushed into my room in excitement and told me to get ready because we were meeting up with a wedding planner. I smiled and got out of bed.

We met up with the wedding planner at a coffee shop and started discussing the wedding details. After the meeting, we drove to a few wedding stores and bought some items for the wedding.

When we got home, I went to check up on Nathan and to discuss on a date for the wedding.

Nathan insisted on having the wedding as soon as possible because he was not sure of how much time he had left. So we settled on having the wedding in a month's time.

A month later

After much deliberation, we settled on having a small wedding at Nathan's home and Nathan's parents offered to pay for the wedding as a wedding gift to us. I invited my mom, Caroline, Damian's parents, Dr. Robert and Dr. Cathy to our wedding. They were all not happy about the news but they promised to support me since they could not stop me. I also called Alex but he did not pick up so I left a message on his answering machine inviting him to the wedding.

Nathan and I also had a conversation about what our life would be like after the wedding. I asked him to move in with me after the wedding but he was reluctant to do so because it was the home Damian and I shared together before he died. After much deliberation, he finally agreed because I convinced him it would save us a lot of money since we would not have to worry about renting or buying a house. Damian already paid for the house and after his death; his parents said I could keep everything he had since we shared a life together.

It was my wedding day; Caroline and my mom came to wake me up. I could tell they were not very excited but they managed to force a smile. They asked me again if I was sure, I was making the right decision. I told them that I had mixed feelings because a part of me really wanted to marry Nathan and another part of me was scared of getting into something I knew would not last. My mom said it was not too late to call off the wedding but then I could hear Nathan's reassuring words in my head. He did not promise a full life together but he promised to make whatever time we had left together a memorable one. I smiled, wiped my tears, and got into the shower.