one.

one.

        My mother never really explained to me the meaning of life. I was never introduced to living life to the fullest or doing things for the hell of it just because I knew we were all going to die someday. I was taught to take things one step at a time, and everything I didn't do I would be able to do it someday in my life. And growing up, I believed it. There were plenty of things I never got to experience, just because I believed that I would get to complete it somewhere in my later years. But being twenty now, I realized how wrong my mother was.

        I had been diagnosed with thyroid cancer more than three months ago. And though the doctors assured me that it was minor (barely considered in it's first stage) and with just a few more radiation session I should be cancer free, it hit me that life was short. If I hadn't gone in about that pain in my neck, who knew where I would be? Cancer was serious. I've heard of over thousands of people dying from it. 2 out of 3 people do, and what if I was one of them. I would've spent my whole life wishing that I did something that I didn't, and by the time that I realized it, I would've been dead.

         I sighed, playing with the purity ring on my left hand's ring finger. It had been there since I was thirteen. I could remember to the tea. I had to attend a eight week course and then have to walk down the aisle with my dad holding my hand just so he could place this cheap eight dollar ring on my finger. At the time, I wanted to do it with all of my heart. I always thought that I'd be able to experience the exhilarating feeling of sex during my honeymoon. But being twenty, and barely having any experience with the dating scene, marriage was the last thing on my mind. It didn't quite help that all my friends and my roommate would come to me with their blushed faces and tell me all the details on their lustful night with their lovers.

        And every time we'd talk about it together, I'd simply nod my head, a smile on my face and laugh along with them. Though sex was never something that I was in a rush to do, it definitely would've made it a lot  better if I had an option to choose when I wanted to do it, instead of instantly having to wait for marriage.

        "Solana Hills." stated a voice.

        I looked up, from my fingers and saw a familiar nurse in her white coat. I sent her a smile and walked towards said nurse: Zaire. She was an African beauty, coming from Ghana at the young age of seven and ever since then has been here in Chicago. She'd taken care of me all the times that I'd been here, which today would be the eight. She lead me towards the room where my radiation therapy would take place. "You know the deal Solana." Zaire stated, placing her gloves on. She pointed at a pile that held my hospital gown. I sighed, stripping off my clothes and folding them. I placed them on a chair and then pulled on my hospital gown.

        Zaire went on with her business, checking my vital signs, my weight, and then checking my breast to make sure the cancer hadn't spread. "Everything looks good. Dr. Horan should be in here soon." Zaire stated. I sent her a smile, grabbing her hand in the process. "Thanks. For everything." I stated. Zaire scoffed. "Oh please. It's my pleasure." She insisted. I watched her exit the room.

        I leaned my head against the gourney and took a deep breath. This was suppose to be my last radiation treatment, and I couldn't wait. It was a long three months, but thankfully my body took my orders and refused to let the cancer spread which resulted in me sticking with radiation and not having to lose my hair for chemotherapy. I don't think I could've stand cutting off my hair. It took me nearly three years and a whole bunch of vitamin B to get it the way I wanted. My thoughts were cut off by the sound of knocking and then Dr. Horan entering the room.

        Dr. Horan was an elderly man. In the beginning, I wasn't quite fond of the fact that he was a man. I'd grown up in a way that men were not allowed to touch me, or see me in a vulnerable state. However, after all the time my mother and father had spent with me in this hospital, they'd learned to trust Dr. Horan, as well as I. "Hello Solana." he stated, running towards the sink.