13 | Turn Right

And somehow I'm to blame

For this never ending race track

You call life

Chapter Thirteen | Turn Right

To be honest, I had no idea what Jack and I were.

We kissed, which meant we were more than friends. But we never really had the whole girlfriend - boyfriend talk, so that was out of the question. The attraction was there, but I still knew little about him.

I contemplated bringing up what I saw in the alley the other day, but I figured it would be a touchy subject. He would probably just shrug it off or deny it. Eventually, I would have to bring it up. I wasn't very good at beating around the bush.

Jack pulled up to the side of the road just a few houses away from mine. He cut the engine off and looked at me in the corner of his eye. "Aren't you glad you got in the car with me?"

"Yeah." I chewed on my bottom lip thoughtfully. "I am."

He nodded off into the distance. "I guess you should probably go home before your mom freaks out or something."

Rolling my eyes, I shoved him playfully and opened up my door. I made a move to get out, but stopped myself. Something in the back of my mind was telling me I should probably do something. Say goodbye? Wave goodbye?

Without thinking anything through, I leaned over the median and planted a small kiss on Jack's cheek. It was a bold move on my part and thinking back to it, I probably shouldn't have done it. I didn't want to appear like some lovesick teenager, because I wasn't. But to be honest, our relationship was too complicated for any formalities.

Jack simply smiled and started up the car again. "Goodbye, Lexi. I'll see you tomorrow."

I got out of the truck, shut the door behind me, and began to walk to my house. As I walked, I thought about the day I spent with Jack. Just thinking about him made my heart beat faster. I wasn't nearly this giddy about a boy since my last boyfriend.

Continuing to walk down the pavement, I glanced over to Adam's house. Surprisingly, he had just opened his front door and was making his way to me. It would have been stupid to think he wouldn't bother me. He was known for it. But this time, when I saw him padding down his driveway, I was actually happy to see him. "Hi!" I exclaimed, turning to face him.

Adam stopped in front of me and surveyed the spot where Jack's truck once was. "Did Jack just drop you off?"

I smiled sheepishly at him. I never realized how much I missed his nerd glasses until now, when I saw them hang loosely at the bridge of his nose. Hell, I missed him. Though I didn't want to admit it to myself, I was relieved the popularity didn't change him.

"Lexi," Adam called out, as he waved a hand in front of my face.

Grinning from ear to ear, I ran a hand through his thick, dark hair and ruffled it a bit. "You look good today, Adam." I continued to play with his hair. "Very manly."

He narrowed his gaze. "What? Lexi? Are you high?"

Not being able to control myself, I burst into hysterics. My laughter was so loud, I'm sure the neighbors could hear it. But I didn't care one bit because I was happy. "You're so cute."

"Cute?" His brows caved in, a dark line creasing his forehead. "Wait, you're being nice! The last time you were nice to me was when you were going out with West. You're only nice when you...Lexi! You like Jack Addister! Are you kidding me? He's bad news! And you know that!"