Chapter 5

From his left shoulder, down his chest and over his stomach to his right hip, was a long red scar in a perfectly straight line. It was a scar that only he and I knew about. The causes at least. Or, rather, the circumstances.

  I took a step toward him unconsciously. Could it really be him?

  "Cole?"

  He smiled. My heart felt like it was being squeezed at the sight. It was the same bright smile I remembered.

  He opened his arms, and without a thought, I ran into them and hugged him tightly.

  "Cole!" I said into his neck. "Its been so long!" His strong, warm arms wrapped around me. I smiled at the familiarity.

  "I missed you, Stells." I could hear the smile in his voice. "You used to come every summer, but then you just stopped."

  "Yes, I know," I said, and took a step back, out of his arms. "Sorry about jumping at you like that."

  Cole smirked. "It's fine. You've...grown."

  "Shut up." I pushed him halfheartedly at the suggestion. "You've grown, too." Quite a bit.

  "Pardon my intrusion on your 'reunion'," Evan said, frowning at our exchange. "But how do you know each other? And when?"

  "I just said we used to hang out during the summer years ago, didn't I?" Cole said. "You should pay more attention, Evan."

  "Oh shut up," Evan said indignantly, scowling. "How come you never told me about my sister?"

  Cole frowned. "I didn't want to?"

  "What?" Evan all but growled.

  I would've done the same if I weren't watching the reactions of the others. From what Evan just said, he implied the fact he did not know of my existence yet Cole did years ago. They stared at us in shock and confusion as they did not understand what was happening.

  Cole held up his hands as if to hold Evan back. "And your father told me not to."

  My eyes slid from the others to him. "Father did?"

  Cole shifted uncomfortably. "Let's not discuss this here." His gaze slid to those still seated around the fire who were listening closely.

  "Okay," I agreed. "Why don't you come over later?"

  Evan looked at me in disbelief. "Fine," he grumbled. "I guess it's time to get going anyway."

  "Uh."

  We looked at the others. They stared at us in an array of confused and blank expressions.

  "Does that mean I have to take you home?" Jackson asked.

  I shrugged and looked at Cole. He was a senior. He must have a car.

  He sighed as he caught my gaze. "I'll take them," he said, and finally buttoned up his shirt to Jesse's and Sara's disappointment. "Follow me." He walked into the woods with a wave to the others.

  Evan huffed, crossing his arms, but followed obediently.

  "Bye, guys," I said, waving for myself and Evan. "See you on Monday."

  "Yeah, see you," Jesse stammered.

  I smiled slightly and turned to go after the other two.

  "Wait." I heard Megan say behind me.

  "Yes?" I glanced at her.

  "What Evan just said..." she muttered. "He sounded like he didn't know that you were his..."