Chapter 9

I opened my eyes to see Aliss hovering above me with a worried expression. I blinked as the memory of what had transpired who knows how long ago returned and sat up. My eyes drifted around the room and I realized we were in my living room. I was lying on one of the couches with a cover draped over me.

  "How long was I unconscious?" I asked, ignoring the fact there was no sign of Evan allowing them into the house.

  "About forty-five minutes and twenty-seven seconds," Kaspian answered, earning a glare from Aliss.

  "Where's Leance?" I could only see Aliss and Kaspian who sat across from me on the couch, and the Seventh who stood, leaning against a wall.

  Aliss and Kaspian exchanged a look.

  "What?"

  "He's fine," Aliss said, frowning. "The cuts on his arm and neck were clean, so there's no chance of infection. The bleeding stopped a while ago and we wrapped them with some gauze we found. That's okay, right?" I nodded. "We took him to the hospital for possible stitches. He's there with Dr. Kuran."

  I simply nodded and waited for the inevitable. There was silence for several seconds until Aliss spoke.

  "Can you tell us what happened?" Aliss asked, staring into my eyes. "Please?"

  I didn't react. I didn't want to explain. "Why were you at school," I asked instead.

  "If I answer your questions will you answer mine?" She asked, frowning even more.

  I sighed. "Yes, but not that one."

  Aliss visibly brightened. "We were there because you called."

  I stared at her in confusion. "What? I don't remember calling you."

  Aliss shrugged. "You must've dialed by accident. I put my number on your speed dial."

  I raised an eyebrow at that but she just smiled. "But why did you come?"

  "Because—"

  "Because we heard sounds of arguing over the phone." Kaspian answered, ignoring his girlfriend's annoyed glower. "We didn't hear the words clearly, but it didn't sound good. So we came."

  "I see," I muttered. "Maybe it was when I tripped?"

  "My turn now!" Aliss said, smiling as she ignored my last comment.

  I sighed heavily and leaned my head back against the couch. "Ask away."

  "Okay," Aliss said brightly. "First question: Why did—"

  "How did Leance Simmons receive those cuts," Kaspian asked. "Did you inflict them?"

  "Oh, come on!" Aliss exclaimed, elbowing Kaspian in the ribs. "Will you stop it already?!"

  Kaspian winced, making me smile faintly. Aliss caught it and smiled broadly herself.

  "You smiled!"

  I rolled my eyes and Kaspian said, "No. She frowned."

  Aliss glared at him. "Shut. Up."

  Kaspian chucked, then turned back to me. "So, will you answer my question?"

  I nodded reluctantly. "I did not inflict those wounds."

  His and the Seventh's eyes narrowed. "Then, who did?"

  I went expressionless. "I can't answer that."

  "Why not," the Seventh asked before Kaspian could.

  I diverted my eyes. "Because."

  "Because what?"