California

Los Angeles, California August 6th, 1954

We were driving down the streets of Los Angeles. I was in California, the state of movie stars and glamour! I felt like I was in a movie! And I was with the man I loved. It was amazing! I was staring out of the windows smiling, looking at all of the buildings and shiny beautiful cars.

"Lord, Somaya, you look like an excited puppy!" Chresanto laughed. I turned around and grinned at him.

"I'm in CALIFORNIA!" I squealed. It was literally the one of the best days of my life.

"Well how would you like it if we go get your hair and nails done? And buy you some new clothes?" Chresanto asked me.

"Chresanto, you serious? I would love it! Yes, please! Thank you, I love you!" I said, going to hug him. The car kind of moved to the side, and I immediately let go of him. He just grinned and shook his head. I stared at him a little bit. Here I was with a gorgeous man who was willing to spoil me and love me in this amazing city. I felt so lucky.

We pulled up to this huge pink building. It read Alaina's Beauty Salon and Spa. I squealed and immediately jumped out the car and ran into the building. It was gorgeous. There were crystal chandeliers on the ceiling. On this level of the building was the salon, with rows of chairs and and a bunch of ladies being pampered. On the second level was what I guessed was the spa. I walked up to the counter, looking around. The lady looked at me, and her smile kind of faltered. She had blonde hair in tight curls and bright red lipstick with long eyelashes and big green eyes. She was gorgeous.

"Good afternoon. Are you lost?" She asked me. I looked at her confused.

"Um, no ma'am. This is the spa and beauty salon ain't it?" I asked.

"Yes ma'am...but our services are...well, out of your prince range." She said gently.

"And how would you know her price range?" I heard Chresanto's voice behind me. The lady looked at him and her eyes went huge.

"I-I um, I apologize, sir. Is-is she with you?" She said, acting nervous.

"Yes she is. I want you to give her a full package of hair, nails, facial, massage, and hot tub. Trust me. I can afford it." Chresanto said laying down a $100 bill. My eyes went huge.

"Certainly, sir. I-I apologize ma'am. Come with me, please." She said, moving from behind the counter. I followed her and looked back at Chresanto. He smiled at me, showing his pearly whites. I smiled back.

7:06pm

"Hello?" My sister's voice chimed in on the phone.

"T? It's me, Somaya!" I grinned. Tiana made a dramatic gasp.

"Somaya Anne Harrison?! Is this you for real?! Where in the hell are you?! You just up and disappeared last night, almost gave mama a heart attack! What is the matter with you-"

"I'm in Cali, T! With Chresanto!" I said, still excited and happy.

"California? OH MY! Is it as gorgeous down there as it is on TV? Have you met any movie stars? Have you seen the Hollywood sign? Oh, girl tell me ALL about it!" Tiana said excitedly.

We talked for a little while. I was sitting Chresanto's beautiful penthouse suite. It was about the size of four of my houses put together, and he had it decorated beautifully! He even had a cook! I shared his room with him. I told Tiana and my mama (who joined in a little while after) all about my new makeover and how I looked like Nina Mae McKinney. I told her about all of the clothes and jewelry he bought me, spending about $5,000! I had so much to talk about that we spent two hours on the phone and Chresanto had to interrupt me.

"Somaya, its time to hang up. I want to take you out to dinner." He said, coming out of the bathroom in a beautiful black suit and a red tie. I stared at him.

"Somaya? Somaya? Girl, are you there?" Tiana called.

"Huh? Oh! Yes I'm here, Look, T, I'll call you tomorrow okay? Kiss mama for me! I love y'all so much!" I said.

"We love you too! Be safe! Tell Chresanto we said hello!" My mother chimed in.

"Okay, I will. Bye bye." I hung up the phone and looked at Chresanto. He walked closer to me and grabbed my hands and pulled me up into a tight hug. And for the first time ever, he kissed me. Right on the lips. I'm telling you, I almost died right there. When he pulled away, he hugged me again.

"I love you, Somaya. So much. I promise you won't regret coming here." He whispered.

I sighed and hugged him tight. "I hope not."