Mr. August

Los Angeles, California December 14th, 1954

It's been in Los Angeles for 5 months, and I swear I was having the best time of my life. Chresanto took me shopping every week, we went out to fancy restaurants, I met fancy people and even a few celebrities. I was living the dream, and it was all thanks to this funny talking California guy.

I was laying in Chresanto's bed half asleep when I heard his voice. "What do you mean he got away?"

I woke up fully and opened my eyes a little. He was sitting at the edge of the bed on the phone, already dressed. I looked at the clock on the wall. It was past 8am.

"I told Benny to take care of it." He sounded angry. He paused. "Well find him, and when you do, get my money. I don't care what it takes." He slammed the phone down and sighed. When I saw him starting to turn around, I shut my eyes.

I felt him get back in the bed and wrap his arm around me. I didn't know whether to speak, so I just laid there.

"I know you heard me, Somaya."

My eyes shot open. He was staring at me with that rare seriousness.

"I uh, yeah. I did." I said, looking away. He sighed and rolled over and out the bed and stood up. He looked so tall and intimidating.

"I think it's time that I tell you about who I really am..."

Los Angeles, California December 25th, 1954

Sometime After 3am

He was laying on the ground with fear clear in his eyes. Chresanto had the gun pointed straight at his heart and, according to him, he never missed what he was aiming for. I couldn't breathe. I busted into tears.

Chresanto told me who he really was a few weeks ago. He was one of the most notorious gangsters in California. He inherited his dad's empire after he was killed. He sells drugs I haven't even heard of and he....kills. Just like he did that night. Over 400 people. Dead because of him. But he was slick and smart. He never left a trace, and he could never get caught. He was amazing, and deadly.

"SOMAYA, MOVE!" Chresanto yelled at me. I was screaming and crying over the man's body. He said we were just supposed to be visiting an "old friend" for the holidays. Benny, one of Chresanto's "workers", picked me up and moved me to a corner in the alley. Even though I didn't want to look and I wanted to forget everything that happened, my eyes stayed on Chresanto.

His face was hard as he fired the gun. The man fell immediately and went limp. Chresanto fired a few more shots, just to make sure the job was finished. He then bent over the body. He took out the money in his pockets, stole his watch, just about everything valuable on him. When he was done, he kicked the man on his side and stuffed his gun back into his pants. He started walking towards me.

I stood there with Benny with my eyes wide. I was shaking severely. He walked up to Benny.

"Take care of Mason. Leave no trace. I mean it Benny." His voice was cold, unrecognizable as the sweet and charming man I met a few months ago.

"Yes sir, Mr. August, sir." Benny said and started walking to the body. Chresanto looked at me. I said nothing, just looked at him as if he would shoot me too.

"Come on, Somaya." He said, holding out his hand to me. I stared at it. He sighed in aggravation. "You really don't want to try my patience right now."

I looked back up to him, shocked he would say something like that to me. His eyes were cold and dark. I put my hand in his and let him lead me out of the alley. He pulled his collar up, and I put my new fur coat over my face. We walked down the street where there was a black car. Chresanto led me to it and put me in.