Chapter 23

Kuroko's Pov

"So his idea of something nice was to take you to a graveyard?"

Kagami looked at me, a frown on his face as he tried to ponder why I had liked what Akashi had done for me. We were sitting on a blanket in the sun at school for lunch. I had come back from my spontaneous trip last night and had finally felt up to getting out of bed and facing the day. The colours all seemed brighter and I felt like I could finally breath. Akashi had kept his word and Aomine hadn't followed me around school and even now I couldn't see him. I had been given my space and on Saturday morning I would be going to Murasakibara's bakery to visit him and Kise. My heart still ached every time I thought of my mother but now that I had said my goodbyes and she was given a proper burial it felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. 

"It was nice. I was packed onto the plane before she was buried. Hell, I didn't even know where she was buried and the fact that they had such a lovely headstone made up for her, well it was wonderful."

"Hmm."

He still seemed confused as he picked at my lunch. He had made sure I had eaten first before he had agreed to have some. I guess I had worried him. I had worried them all. When I had come down stairs ready for school the relief on Aomine and Midorima's face was quite obvious. Kise's texts when I told him Akashi and I would both be joining them for coffee had been like those of an excited young girl. 

"I suppose I owe him an apology than."

My attention returned to the red head in front of me and I frowned.

"What did you do?"

"Look you weren't okay and he wasn't doing anything and I am sure it was his fault and"-

"Kagami. What happened?"

He looked sheepish as he deliberately refused to meet my eyes.

"I might have said some unkind things to him but I wasn't wrong!"

"Kagami," I let out a sigh, shaking my head. 

"He deserved it!"

"You said you would be civil."

"Only if he didn't hurt you and you were hurting!"

"It wasn't his fault."

I got the raised eye brow and doubtful look on his face as he stared at me. 

"Truly, it wasn't. He was just doing what he thought was right. I should have talked to him about how I felt too instead of just letting it build up. We are both working on it and you should apologise and be nicer, after all he said yes to me going to your party."

He mumbled and went back to stuffing his face and I shook my head. This is what parents must feel when their children are fighting and refuse to make up. Akashi had made no secret of his strong dislike of Kagami but he had held back for my sake. I really wanted this to work, I didn't want to choose between my gangster boyfriend and police best friend. 

***

It was finally Saturday and like a kid I woke up early, impatient to start the day. Leaving Akashi asleep in our bed I got changed and headed downstairs. I thought I would have been the only one awake but Midorima was up, prodding the ribs of a bruised Aomine who was holding an ice pack against one of his eyes.

"Oh my god, Aomine what happened?"

He cursed and tried to turn away from me, wincing as he did so.

"You should be resting Tetsu."

"I had enough sleep this past week. How did this happen?"

I moved over, seeing the extent of his injuries. His face was bloodied and bruised and an ugly dark purple bruise was spread over the left side of his chest and from my own experience I was sure he had at least one cracked or fractured rib.