The Elders

Eren landed with a thump against the ground. He folded up his wings and strode toward the ancient building. Some tree nymphs appeared and either waved or whispered to each other. Eren acknowledged them with a small nod.

When he arrived at the doors he was stopped by a large man, "name and reasoning to visit the Elders Court." He bellowed in a deep voice.

"Eren, the Elders requested me." He stated.

The man took a moment to study Eren before letting him pass.

When the doors opened Eren stepped into a sort of green room with carvings in the stone walls. Shallow pools lined the walls, bowls with fire floated in them. The pools were surrounded by Cherry Blossom trees and their fallen petals. Eren walked passed the trees and knelt on white marble steps.

"Rise, Eren, brother of Koryn and Protector of the fire witch." A withered, yet powerful, voice instructed. Eren rose to meet eyes with an elderly looking woman. Her name was Morgana, the eldest witch. "I'm sure you are aware why you are here." She started.

"Yes, but-" Eren began.

"Then I am sure you are aware of your responsibilities. As the true Protector you must take your place." Verron, the vampire king, interrupted.

"But I don't want-" he tried again.

"Then again if you wish to deny our offer you are sending your fate down a much unendurable path." Rayvene, the queen of the fairies inquired.

"I don't believe in f-"

"The path he is set on is not in question. He has proven himself, unlike the many who have failed before him. Now if we were to expand-" Melek, the Alpha of alpha werewolves, spoke bluntly in disregard to Eren's wants or presence.

"Expand what? His abilities? I'm sure the stones would never give us a right to that. So I ask: have you gone completely mental? We could dance this waltz all century long but the facts are simple: if he doesn't want it he can deny it, but if the stones tell us what we need to know than it's his destiny whether he wants it or not." The eleven leader, Lord Freyor spoke in his elegant Irish accent.

"Oh for pity's sake why don't we hear what the boy has to say. Everyone quit your bickering and let him decide his own." King Leon, the royal above them all, the king warrior angel. The others silenced and turned toward Eren.

Eren froze for a moment with the attention of so many powerful beings on him. But he quickly recovered with full respect.

"Thank you, your highness." He bowed slightly. Speaking up he began with confidence, "I have not decided yet on whether to accept or decline your offer. I wish you would all respect that. I am sure, however, that I do not want the responsibility of taking a seat among you. I do not believe in fate, for as long as I've been around, nothing compared to your years of wisdom, but I have not yet had the provocation to decide that fate is real. Truthfully, destiny to me is simply a destination, fate is a path. I know full well, your graces, that I must take some responsibility found as I have been blessed with new gifts, but leaving my place as Srae's guardian is not something I wish to do. I am loyal to her, as a Protector should be. Until I am ready to make a final decision; that is how I wish to see things stand. That is my request." His chest rose and fell as his heart pounded in anticipation for how the Elders would respond to such rash choices.

"You love her." Elleane, the pixie queen, cooed.

Eren felt sweat build up on his palms.

The queen rose from her throne, her insect-like wings shinning in the glass roof's light. She made her way down to Eren, watching him with soft eyes. "The sacrifice is made for someone your heart desires, no?" Her quiet French accent hit Eren's ears. He nodded in silence. "Yet, her heart does not mirror yours." It wasn't a question, Eren stood still while she walked around him, her silk dress dragging behind her. Elleane touched Eren's shoulder, her fingers cold. "Or...so you think." Her hand slid off his shoulder as she walked back to her seat.

Eren wanted to ask what she meant, but stayed quiet.

"I motion that we bestow the stones in front of him, letting his heart be true. If the stones choose him he will become prince as he is not ready for a king's responsibility. As prince he will have the right to be Sraena's head Protector. We will leave him to his duties and wait until he is ready." Eren's heart leapt in hope. "But." His heart squeezed. "If the stone does not choose him; he will be taken immediately to a secure area where he will train with his new abilities, and when satisfactory he will become general of the dragon army." Eren was filled with dread as she asked for those in favor, and the Elders stood, one by one.

__________________________

AN: hello, sorry I haven't updated this story, I haven't known where to go with it.

But! I have a new story called Flyght: Surrender. I know exactly how this story will go (hopefully) and the characters are my first. So, they have a special place in my heart. Go check it out! Oh, and I hope you're enjoying this story, I want to keep it updated but it's not so popular, so I haven't been motivated.

Please vote! - Jordan River ;)