CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

Chapter Forty-Two

Jason sat in his chair next to Melody, his leg bouncing up and down restlessly. He was getting bored of hearing Why Don't We songs considering that he didn't even like the band enough to listen to them all day. He only learnt the lyrics to the songs for Amy's sake mainly but other than that, they were just not his style. He plugged his earphones into his ears and saw Melody surprisingly do the same.

"I thought you actually liked this band?" He asked.

She shook her head and crossed her left leg over her right. "Boy bands aren't really my thing."

He nodded, and she looked over his shoulder onto his phone screen to see what he was playing. His lock screen had changed to them in the 'Tom and Jerry' outfit from the photo booth, the one he said he liked. The beginning of the song said "TWENTY ØNE PILØTS" and she didn't recognize that.

"What's 'TWENTY ØNE PILØTS'?" She asked.

"They're a band. They're my favourite," he explained. He looked over at her phone, the lock screen being Melody and another girl who looked very similar to her, both in Minnie Mouse shirts and leggings with red and white polka dotted Alice bands on their heads. The picture was taken years ago, though, as they were still quite young. "Who's that?" He asked curiously.

"Hmm?" She hummed and looked at her phone, immediately freezing. "Oh, umm, she's... someone important to me," she drawled.

He nodded, not prying further. She then asked another question, changing the topic of discussion. "How many people are there in that band?"

"Two."

"Is that even a bad?"

"Yes."

"But they're called twenty-one pilots! Where are the other nineteen pilots?"

Jason looked at her and she had never seen him so serious. "Never ask that question again."

She nodded obediently. Melody paused the song she was listening to and asked Jason for one of his earplugs by gesturing. He took it out and she listened. The song had a very nice beat to it and was very catchy.

"What's this song called?"

"Chlorine," he answered.

"That's an unusual song title," she quipped.

He shrugged. "Says the girl who listened to a song called 'Ilomilo'. What does that even mean?"

"It's a Billie Eilish song. How could I not listen to it?"

They continued to listen to Jason's playlist, which was quite different to hers, but in a good way. His music was unorthodox, much like himself. The beats, the lyrics, the titles of the songs, they all told a different story. Melody enjoyed how unique it was and listened intently until something Amanda said stole their attention.

"Okay. To all the guys in here, this is where it's about to get fun. How many of you think you're really smooth?"

Kindo and Jason shared a look and raised their hands up high, along with many more guys in the room. Melody looked at them warily, knowing nothing good could come out of this.

"Well, I have a list of four boys who I've been told are quite smooth. Now, we'll put this to the test and see who of the four are the smoothest of them all. The game is a pick-up line challenge. Along with the four boys, there will be four girls who the boys have to try their best to charm. The girls will have three emoji cards, a smirking one, a smiling one and a blushing one, though if you're really good, they can take someone else's card and give you a double reaction. In that order, the cards rate you on how smooth you are, from lowest to highest. The smirking one is the lowest at one point, more like a 'nice try'. The smiling one is in the middle at two points, something like 'okay, that was a good one'. The blushing one on the other hand is the highest at five points, like I'm talking '#MELTING' over here," she explained with a dangerous smirk on her face.