CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

Chapter Forty-Five

"Okay, we'll start with the easy ones before we get deep into it," Jason began and Melody nodded, "Question number one: What do you want to be when you grow up?"

Melody didn't miss a beat. "A pediatrician."

He raised his eyebrows. "The child doctor?"

She nodded, a smile forming on her face. "I love children because I never get anxious around them, so I figured why not spend the rest of my life surrounded by little innocent people?"

He nodded, and it was her turn to ask. Melody thought about it for a while. "What are your special talents?"

Jason grinned happily. "I can play the drums."

Her eyes twinkled. "Really?"

He nodded. "Yeah I've been playing since I was about seven. I can also rap and speak French because I'm half French."

Her lips lifted. "Say something."

"Something," he laughed.

"No, I meant say something in French."

His eyes sparked with amusement. "Something in French."

She shot him the blankest look she could muster, and he laughed. "C'est tellement amusant de t'énerver," he said in French.

She bounced up and down a bit from excitement. "What does that mean?"

"It means: it's so fun to irritate you."

"Rap for me please?" She mumbled.

He paused, thinking. "Um, there's this one song that goes like this," he cleared his throat and began rapping the beginning of 'HeavyDirtySoul' by his favourite band. "There's an infestation in my mind's imagination, I hope they choke on smoke 'cause I'm smoking them out in the basement. This is not rap, this is not hip-hop, just another attempt to make the voices stop. Rapping to prove nothing, just writing to say something 'cause I wasn't the only one who wasn't rushing to say nothing. This doesn't mean I lost my dream, it's just right now I got a really crazy mind to clean." He said in a few breaths.

Melody stared in awe at how fast his lips moved and how clear the words came out before smiling. "Gangsters don't cry, therefore, therefore I'm. Mister misty-eye, therefore I'm!" She continued.

He grinned and raised his eyebrow, leaning in a little. "Can you save...?"

She leaned in too. "Can you save my...?"

They said the chorus together, mirroring each other's smiles. "Can you save my heavy dirty soul?!"

His eyes widened. "You know it?"

She nodded. "Yeah, remember at the party when we were listening to your music? I heard it then and downloaded it."

He grinned. "My turn. What's something you absolutely can't stand?" He paused when she smiled, "And don't you dare say me."

She laughed. "Uh," she cringed, "cold food."

"What? You eat cold food all the time."

She shook her head. "Correction: I eat food that is meant to be eaten cold when it's cold. You would never catch me dead eating cold cooked chicken or cold cooked anything. If it was meant to be eaten hot, I will not disobey the order of nature," she said proudly and asked her question. "What's your worst pet peeve?"

He thought about it. "I know this might not sound like something I would say but it's when people just act stupid. Like, if they state or ask the obvious. Like, if the heading on the worksheet says, 'Poetry Assignment', the likelihood that you're going to paste it in your history book is very slim," he said sarcastically with a matching smile, clearly irritated by this habit people have.