Part 1 - The Pre-Games Chapter 1

Stifling my emotions has become easy. I try not to think of what the future holds for me. Things are changing so quickly it seems. The 74th Annual Hunger Games is already here. The training Institution has been remodeled and the old staff has been traded for some newer, younger staff. And here I am hoping that I will be picked to go into a death match in the arena. What can I say? I am a Hunger Games nut?

I wake up and run to the forest. On the North part of Two is the cities and the Square, and basically all of the civilization. About halfway south, is the Mountain. It's like the dividing line between the North, cities, and the South, the Forest. It is mainly used for Peacekeeper training, but since technology has developed, there are simulation courses in the Mountain. The Mountain is where the majority of the work force is. Weaponry, Construction, Peacekeeping, it's all in there. The only workers that aren't in there are the shop owners, and the homeless. There aren't many here, though. We're not District Twelve, full of run down- or dead- Victors like, what's his name? Doesn't it begin with an M?

The forest, along the line where the Mountain divides Two, is the Graves. I work my way through all of the busy people heading off to do whatever they do on Reaping Day, and finally reach my target. Saidrienne Luther. My mother. She was a Peacekeeper and was killed on duty. I never really thought I would see myself coming here every Reaping to visit her, tell her I still love her, but I do, and that's just the price I have to pay. My father is Brutus. He always has some sort of publicity thing going on. I look at the grave for a moment and read the plaque.

Saidrienne Luther

Loving Mother Of Clove Luther and Wife Of Brutus Luther

Died doing Our Great Nation A Duty

Peacekeeper 162534

Born August 26th 34

Died April 20th 71st

Here in Panem, the years go by the Hunger Games that took place that year. This is year 74. 74 and running.

I run away from the grave after about an hour with her, because I know that my father will be awake soon and that he will kill me if I he ever happens to catch me snooping around here. But I am about to run away, when I run right smack into a tree. Or so what I thought was a tree. It just turns out to be an extremely hard person. And when I actually look at the person, I see a very muscularly toned man. He looks to be about... 18? I debate the possibilities as he gives me a strange look.

"You've been staring at me an awful long time." He says.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I don't mean to it's just-" I stutter.

"Don't worry," He says to me with a smirk, "I have that effect on people."

I give a small airy laugh the satisfation of being heard, and the boy looks taken aback. "And now you're laughing."

He seems as if I hurt his feelings. I go to apologize, but he changes the subject.

"So, why are you here?" He asks me.

"My mother, she was a Peacekeeper in Twelve. I think she ate something bad while trying to maintain order at the Hob or something of the sort. The damn woman apparently still makes food there and none of the other Peacekeepers try to stop her." I say with an edge in my voice. I don't know why I am telling this complete stranger all of these things about my personal life all of a sudden. "What about you?"

"I just like to stalk people to their lost ones' graves." He says in a completely serious tone.

I take a step back from him, but he stretches his arms out as if trying to wipe away his humiliation in the air.