Part Two-The Games and on. day one

I am shoved awake when Cato gets off my bed. I get up with a jolt, thinking that he's been here all night. I look up at him with innocent eyes.

"Don't you worry," he mumbles lightly, "You've just fallen asleep. I need some sleep tonight yet. You know, before we are forced to fight to the death tomorrow." A small, yet not elated smile forms on his face.

"Okay then." I say hoarsely. "Thanks for staying as long as you did."

He just smiles and turns toward the door. "Anytime, Clove. I will think about this all of the time. Just remember that."

I get up, out of bed, and walk over to him. I don't want to make this emotional, so I just fall into his chest, his arms slowly, reluctantly falling into place around me.

"See you tomorrow, Clove." He whispers in my ear. The warmth of his breath tickles my neck below my ear.

"Tomorrow." I whisper back.

He then walks out of the door without looking at me. I know why he is the way that he is right now. After I talked to him about how feelings don't win you the Games, he didn't pay any mind to it, but now... now. It's finally setting in that he and I can never be together. It's now hitting me, too. Not that it ever wasn't already there. Now it's just more prominent. More... real.

I watch him until he rounds the corner, then slink back into my bedroom. Nothing like an evening damper to get you to feel exhausted. I close the door behind me, slipping out of my robe and into my bed. Not wanting to talk to anybody. Nobody until the Games starts. I will get it all out during the first couple hours tomorrow.

As I lay my head on my pillow, smelling the rosey scent drifting from it, I fall asleep wondering if all of the Capitol smells like roses.

***********************************************************************************************************

"Clove..." I hear, a hazy voice in my sleep. I open my eyes, but it's a blurry picture. "Clove.." I hear again. I open my eyes up and rub them slightly. Jayk stands out in my vision now. She looks at me with eyes that show only eager adrenaline is pumping through my system.

This can only mean one thing. I am up and out of the bed within seconds. I grab the clothes that Jayk has in her hands and walk to the bathroom. I don't like to change in front of other people, especially not people that will be watching my every move for the next couple weeks.

I change into a deep maroon shirt and moss green pants. I have Jayk come in when I'm done and have her show me how to do my hair. She pulls it back and does the usual style with it, showing me how to properly do each section.

Then she escorts me out of the room. We walk to the elevator on our floor and see that it's occupied. We both wait impatiently as we watch the lights move around through the door. Then, finally, it opens up in front of us. Jayk steps aside and lets me go in first. I do so quietly, as if me saying anything will induce more excited energy. I am nervous to see what happens, but excited to get in there and finally start doing what I have been training to do since I was younger. I'm finally doing what I am meant to do. And this year, I'm the one that's coming back.

We shoot down the elevator silently, while I tap my toes repeatedly on the floor. Then the elevator doors opening, sending a bright light into the car that nearly blinds us both. But as we wait a little bit, the outlines of a hovercraft appear. I feel myself smile. This is almost it. Jayk grabs my shoulders, and turning me to her says, "I will do everything in my power to keep you alive. But if what you say is true, you won't need my help. I am going to stay out of it as much as I can, but I will always be watching. Helping you when you need it. You've got this, Clove."