EPILOGUE 🌼

FIVE YEARS LATER

I walk into my all time favourite cafe in Burkinston, the strong aroma of coffee filled the air. I'm not a big fan of coffee, but somehow, in Café Étoile, they had just the right amount of caffeine in their drinks. Which is why I like it so much.

Falling in line, I wait for my turn. I practice the same order I tell to the staffs every time I come and visit, "One matcha green latte with extra matcha on top."

Life in Burkinston has been good for the couple of years. I made great friends, am studying in a good university and now I'm just enjoying life. Though there are nights where I would lay in bed, awake in the dark, and wonder what would my life be like if I was still in New Quenton? Thoughts like those have lessen but not a day goes by without me thinking about them.

After ordering my drink, I walk over to an empty seat and sit down. I didn't have any plans for the day so I decided it would be nice to have a cup of matcha and chill in Café Étoile before leaving to stay in a public library. The day is calm but far too hot for me to want to stay outdoors. A roof over my head and some air conditioning sounds far more preferable to me.

I open my little notebook filled with random quotes that pop up to my head and some storylines I will never write. This is a way I relieve the roaring screams I have in my head when days get far too hard to deal with and the emotions far too extreme to ignore.

Most of the earlier quotes I have written in the book is about Sean. For the first few weeks in Burkinston, missing him was like a routine. I would dream of him, seek for him and miss him as if he was what my life revolved around. It was a hard first month in Burkinston. The following months were about the same, although it had gotten better with time passing by more.

The recent quotes, however, are about the feelings I feel at the very moment. For example, currently, I felt calm. Being in Café Étoile always gave me that vibe. The chatter of other people in the café is soft, almost likened to whispers. I smile. This is moment I like to live for.

As I write, someone accidentally bumps into me as he tries to move to the table behind me. He nearly tips over, his drink almost spills over my new shirt. But he saves his drink at the very last second and our eyes meet instantly.

"I'm so sorry!" he apologizes, his long fringe slightly covers his eyes. "It's a good thing I saved that in the very last minute, right? No stains on your shirt or anything, I hope?"

I check my shirt. Not a stain or anything. "Nope," I answer, "gladly. Thanks."

"Yeah." As he was about to head his way, he stops and stares at me for a longer period of time. "You look... familiar."

"Maybe we go to the same university," I suggest, shrugging. Burkinston is far bigger than New Quenton, so it surprises me that this man thinks I look familiar. That rarely happens around here, after all.

"You go to Kurtin Medical School?" he asks.

I smile in surprise. "No. I go to Burkinston University. I think you mistook me for someone else."

"No, wait." He holds a hand in front of me, a smile easing on his lips. Then, he asks, "Lily?"

My eyes widen. How could this almost perfect stranger know my name? Then, I look and examine him a little closer. It couldn't be—

"Sean?" His name rolls down my tongue with ease, like flowers that bloom in spring. "Sean Ryan? Is that really you?"

"Hey there, old friend," he greets.

I am surprised. I didn't think I would see Sean ever again. I haven't visited New Quenton in a few years. The last time I did, I was 20.

"Mind if I join you over here?" he asks with his ever boyish grin.