Chapter 5-Overthinking

Jane and I went to my place after school. We decided to try to finish some homework then hang out. I laid on my stomach on the floor, while I stared at the complicated math problems. I tried to get my head to get working on them, but my mind was else where. I was thinking it might have been a mistake in not telling Jane that I liked Everett. If I had told her, maybe she might have flirt with him less. Damn. I really was jealous.

I glanced at Jane, who was sitting down on the carpet with her legs crossed, her back against the end of the bed. Her algebra homework was on her binder. She smiled as she texted on her phone. After sending her last message, she picked up her pencil and began to solve a problem. "Can you believe they gave us homework on the first day?" She said.

I rolled to my back and sighed. "They really know how to welcome their students back to school."

"At least it's math homework. I like math."

"Of course you do, you are good at it."

"Not really. Just better at it than you are."

I let out a small chuckle. "True that."

Jane leaned over to peer at my work in progress. "You haven't done a single thing!"

"Oh. Yeah, nope."

"I can help you if you want."

"No it's okay. I just," I paused for a second. "Have stuff on my mind"

"I could say the same thing."

I sat up and hugged my knees. "Oh yeah? What are you thinking about?"

Jane unfolded her legs and laid them straight. She stared at her striped socks.

"Oh, you know."

"Is it about your family?" Jane got adopted by a warm Hispanic family around the time we met. However, her new sister weren't as welcoming as her parents.

Jane's face lit up as she answered. "No. Everything is all good now."

"That's great!" I tilted my head slightly. "Then, what is it?"

"Everet."

I felt my eyebrows raise as she said his name. "What about him?"

"I asked him if he likes anyone. He said he does."

Wow she asked the questions I always wondered about.

I casually rested my hand on the floor. "Did he say who?"

"No. He changed the subject." She twirled her short hair in her fingers. "Which sucks cause' I like him and I wanted to know."

Oh no. I couldn't tell her I liked him too now. No way! A voice in my head said; Melinda if you don't tell her, she might make her move. But it would have sounded like I was trying to steal him from her or something. When really it would have sort of been the other way around.

Am I overthinking this? I'm overthinking this. 

Before I could give it another thought, the doorbell rang