Chapter 4-Meeting Up

Jane and I agreed to meet by the vending machines. I made my way across the cafeteria after getting a tray with pizza and a milk. I kept my eyes on the vending machines and peered in when I got closer. I stared at the chocolate chip cookie waiting to be claimed. That cookie looks so good right now. 

"Hurry up your holding up the line." 

The deep croaky voice was so close to my ear I jumped like a frightened mosquito. 

"Sorry I didn't mean to scare you that much." 

I turned to the scary voice. It was Everett. Everett with his wavy coal colored hair swooped over his forehead, his sheepish smile and olive green T-shirt. It was him and his light tanned face that held his hazel eyes. 

I snap out of my daze and remember to reply. "Oh uh," I cleared my throat. "It's okay. I was just startled." 

I look back into the vending machine away from his gaze. He's been away for so long I forgot how nervous he made me feel. 

"Do you want anything?"

Yeah, you.

"Nope I'm good." I turn back around to face him. 

Jane appears with her lunch. "Hey guys!" 

"Hi Jane." 

I look at Jane then Everett. I should introduce them. "Jane, this is-" 

"Oh we've met." She glances at Everett with a smile. 

"Wait what?" I look at him for confirmation.

"We have." 

"We talked this morning."

I raised my eyebrows in realization. The guy who she thought was cute was Everett. I thought back to the mystery boy's shirt being green like the one he's wearing now. 

"Oohh." 

Everett gestures to Jane with a small point. "You know Linda too. Her and I go way back."

I fidget with my fingers. "He's the best friend I've mentioned."

"Oh the one who lives in Washington?" Jane asked. 

"Yup."

Jane started looking around the cafeteria. "Hey let's sit over there."

We go to the table she pointed to and sat. I took a bite from my pizza. It wasn't the best pizza in town but it was tolerable. 

Jane looked over at Everett, who was next to me. "You have nice eyes." She smiled sweetly. 

"Why thank you Linda's friend."

"You didn't forget my name already did you?"

He chuckled nervously. "Erm, no. Your name is..." 

I leaned in and whispered, "It's Jaane." 

"Yeah, Jane."

She laughs. "Oh you." She touched his arm and let it linger there. 

"Hey Melinda," said Jane as she holds up her tray to me. "Can you throw this away for me?"

"Uh there's a whole pizza still there." I said. 

"Please?"

"I guess." I got the tray and looked for the nearest trash can.

I find a trash can a few steps away. As I walked back, I noticed how flirty Jane was being. She was laughing and playfully pushed him. Everett smiled and scratched his neck, something he does when he's nervous. Does she make him nervous the way he makes me nervous? I turned to walk to other way, with envy in my heart.