Chapter 6

I started to get up to get the door when Jane sprung up from her spot like a rocket. "Oh! I'll get that for you."

 "Uh yeah oka-"

She ran out before I could finish. I shrugged and went back to my homework. Maybe I would be able to get my unproductive self to get some work done. But before the pencil reached the paper to write, my phone dinged on the floor beside me. I tried to resist the urge to check it to focus on my work. But I failed miserably.

I took it into my hands and read who it was from. It was, him.

yo im in ur house

Oh my shit! I stared at the phone screen, trying to think up a reply. Then remembered he used to randomly drop by when we were younger. Double oh my shit. I wasn't prepared for his visit. My make up was off and I looked like crap. It's not like he's never seen you without it.

I started to panic a little as I heard the door open followed by multiple footsteps on the wooden floor in the hallway. I frantically looked around the room to find anything to cover my face with.

Everett's voice filled my ears as he made his grand entrance. "Hey whats up?"

I quickly hid my face with my long hair by keeping my head down and looking at the ground. "H-hey"

There was a pause. Then I saw his navy blue Converse in front of me.

"Linda? Why are you sitting all weird?"

My face grew hot. I probably did look weird. Hell, I was probably freaking him out looking like the Grudge and shit. 

I slowly lifted my head. I looked up into his eyes. His oh so bright eyes.

I was expecting him to cringe at my acne or scrunch his nose in disgust. Heck he might have snickered. But no. His lips curled up into a smile.

"There you are," he said.

My shoulders relaxed. I smiled back. I had nothing to worry about. He would have never made fun of me. "Why are you here?"

'What, you don't want me here?" He said with a smirk.

"Of course, but why are you here now?"

"Jane told me she was here at your house, so I decided to come."

He was the one who Jane was texting earlier. He probably came to hang out with her.

Jane came deeper into the room from where she was standing near the door. "We were just working on homework," said Jane. 

"Homework huh?" Everett sat down across from me and grabbed my paper. "Oh it's math. I actually kind of like this stuff. "

Jane showed up beside him like an excited puppy. "I do too!"

Everet looks at her excitedly. "Finally someone else who likes math! Linda over here hates it."

I put my hand to my chest, "With a passion."

 I stared at the two. They would have made a cute couple. Maybe it was better if I stayed out of their way and let Jane have him. She was good enough for him unlike me and seemed to be the perfect fit. They already had something in common.

"Hey what's wrong? Do you hate math that much?" said Jane.

I blinked and realized I was tearing up. Oh great. 

"Ah, stupid allergies." I faked a dramatic sniff. 

Everet cocked his head to the side. "What? You aren't allergic to anything."

"Uh yeah I am."

"Oh yeah then what?"

"Homework."

"Let's talk instead of homework," spoke Jane.

I nodded repeatedly. "Yeah that would be great."

Everet clasped his hands together and said, "So I'm going to be Captain Obvious. I'm back in Denver."

I raised my eyebrows. "Oh yeah! Why is that?"

"My dad quit his job."

Jane put a hand to her mouth. "That's terrible!"

"Eh not really." He shook his head nonchalantly. "Cause' it got me back here. I sure did miss the place."

His father was a surgeon. He was a damn good one too. He got a job opportunity in Washington. To hear he quit was a shock. "Why did he quit?"

Everett leaned back, resting his palms on the floor. He looked up at the ceiling as he spoke. "He always complained about how cold it was up in DC. Which makes no sense because it is still cold as heck here. I think he was just homesick."

I chuckled. "Wow."

He looked at me and held my gaze. "Yeah. I guess I was home sick too." 

Jane rubbed both of her arms. "Speaking of cold, it's a little chilly in here." She tugged at Everett's jacket. "Can I borrow this?"

Everet turned to her then looked down. "Uh yeah sure. Forgot I was even wearing this." He started to unzip his dark green jacket, revealing a plain white T-shirt underneath.

"You really would give me your jacket?"

"Well I'm already taking it off so why not." He handed her his jacket. She took it and held it in her hands for a while. She stared at it as if it was a prized treasure. 

Jane put the cozy jacket on. She smiled as she leaned closer to Everet. "Thanks a lot. You are so kind."

I felt a pang of jealousy. I never had the courage or the confidence to be all cute and flirty with him. I've tried a few attempts but failed because I was not cute or flirty.

"So, Evy." Jane put her hand on her chin and gazed at him in wonder. "Who is this girl you said you liked?"