Chapter 10-Closer

They sat there in silence for a few minutes, then Sonic got too bored. 

"Shadow is this where you live?" Sonic asked. 

"I thought I told you stay quiet." Shadow said annoyed. 

"Ugh! I'm bored Shadow! How come you don't have anything here? You live a boring life." Sonic complained. 

"I don't live here. It's just... the only place I have." 

"Wait... you mean-" "No I don't have a house. I don't have a place to call home. This is the closest thing I have to a home. I don't need a home. I'm usually out doing things anyway." 

"I mean... Shadow you could always stay at my place." Sonic suggested. 

Shadow looked over at Sonic, not looking surprised, not confused, but serious and a bit angry. 

"Okay Sonic, cut the bull crap. Stop your tricks and mind games." Shadow said walking towards him. 

"Whoa! What are you talking about?' Sonic asked backing away. 

"Why do you act like you care about me? Why did you comfort me? I'm a jerk to you, you're a jerk to me. It all started when I showed weakness, back at the place. You think I'm a little kid who needs pity and comfort. Well guess what Sonic, I don't. You need to stop talking to me unless you want to fight." Shadow said. 

At this point, Sonic was backed into the wall and Shadow was staring down at him. "Shadow shut up for once!" Sonic said. He was then kicked really hard in the head. He got really dizzy and almost knocked out. Sonic then got up. 

"Shadow... I-I... l-look... I... Shadow... " Sonic kept stuttering. 

God dammit! Just be honest with him! You want to be his friend! Just admit it! Sonic thought. 

"Look Shadow! I know we've always fought before, but things change! I... I want to be your friend. Yes after what happened I see you differently. Yes It's because you showed weakness, but you've also shown kindness towards me since then. I really like this side of you. I hate fighting with you! I like knowing that we care for each other like friends do! Shadow trust me with this." Sonic said.

He was blushing so hard. 

"Now Sonic wants to be my friend? Ha, I feel like someone important. Not a chance Sonic. You're pathetic." Shadow said with a small smirk. 

 "Shadow you are important! You don't understand!" Sonic yelled.

"Wake up." Shadow said. 

"What?" Sonic asked in confusion.

In one blink, Sonic was on the ground with Shadow at his side. 

"Shadow... what's going on?" Sonic asked. 

"Uhh... I kicked you in the head and I knocked you out." Shadow said. 

"So it was just a dream..." 

"What?" Shadow asked. 

"Uh... nothing. So how have I been out?" Sonic asked. 

"Only a minute. Umm... I'm... sorry." 

Sonic looked at him, he was blushing and looking down. Sonic gave a small smile and blushed. 

"Shadow... can I ask you some questions?" Sonic asked. 

"Whatever, I can't stop you at this point." Shadow said rubbing his face.

"Really?" Sonic asked. 

"Do it before I get angry." 

"Okay, okay. Who's Mariah?" Sonic asked. 

Shadow sighed. 

"Her... name was Maria. She was... never mind you don't need to know anything. It's none of your business. " Shadow said.

"Shadow come on, you can talk to me. Hey, after you answer, you can ask me a question." Sonic suggested.

"Ugh... Okay... she was a... very close friend and my only friend. We only knew each other for about 2 years, but in those 2 years, she had shown herself to be the nicest person I've ever met. She never got mad with me once, she understood that I was who I was and she didn't want me to change. She didn't care that I gave her attitude sometimes, she shrugged it off and we carried on. She was so young too. So... one day... I did something wrong and... people hunted me down. Maria helped me escape but... she didn't make it. They killed her instead. Since then I've learned to never get close to anyone. I need to push them away so they don't get hurt. And... I'll never run away again." Shadow explained. 

Sonic stared at him. 

"Hey look-" "I don't need your sympathy." Shadow interrupted.

"Okay. I understand. Now ask me a question." Sonic said. 

"Why are you so nice too me?" Shadow asked. 

Sonic paused for a moment and thought. 

Okay, just say what you said in your dream. Just say it. Sonic thought.

"Well... look I know we've always fought before, but things change. I want to be your friend. Yes after what happened I see you differently. Sure It's because you showed weakness, but the more important thing is you've also shown kindness towards me since then. I really like this side of you. I like talking like this with you. I hate fighting with you. I like knowing that we care for each other like friends do."  

There was a moment of silence, both of them avoided eye contact. 

"Allies." Shadow said.

Sonic looked at him. 

"What?" 

"We can be allies. I'm not ready to be friends with anyone. At least not yet. I still think you're annoying. No eating at Meh burger together or anything." Shadow said.   

"Heh, deal."