Chapter 5

"Axel look!" Elise announced as she reeled in what would be her third and largest catch of the day. Axel turned to look at her but he was not impressed. We had been out for almost three hours and the sun was beginning to set. Just a couple hours ago the air was filled with laughter and our hearts were creating new memories until Axel pointed out the true fact that we were scaring off all of the fish.

Despite the confusion, Jacob had managed to catch the largest fish of the day. I looked at him and noticed he still had the same grin from two hours ago plastered on his face. I rolled my eye playfully. I didn't care about the fish, and I didn't care about the competition. At least not anymore. I developed a fondness for this group and I wanted to be friends with the guys and so far it was working out great.

"That's nothing!", Axel screamed back. They were standing right next to each other and it was so ridiculous that they were yelling at each other. Axel pushed his long beach surfer blonde hair behind his ear and took off his sunglasses to get a better look. I glanced over at Lucas and saw him staring intently at Axel and Elise. Actually, he was staring intently at Elise and I felt my heart beat faster.

"What is wrong with me? I don't even know anything about this boy!" I thought. Lucas glanced at me and I looked away quickly.

"Give her a break Axel!" I yelled from my side of the boat and Jacob nodded in agreement. I turned to face Jacob and I smiled.

"I thought you were competitive but wow, is Axel upset or what?"

"Jacob laughed at me. His green eyes reflected the glistening of the sea. "I think he is just mad about the bait." Jacob was a really attractive guy. The type of guy who made all the girls blush simply by existing.

"Axel!" I called out to him turning away from Jacob. I could notice Elise looking at me through the corner of my eye. "I thought you didn't know anything about fishing."

"I don't, and clearly neither does anyone here!" he huffed. Jacob spun me around to face him again which made me wonder what his intentions were. Did he just want to fish or did he want to get to know me better?

"Let's talk some more" he stated in a low tone. I guess he just wants to talk to me more. I talked to Jacob and we laughed a lot. We had an intense conversation about his life and took the occasional break to converse with the group and mock Axel. He told me about his high school life and his notoriety for being a player. It was surprising to learn that he wasn't a jock.

"So did you play football?" I had asked in an attempt to understand why he was so incredibly in shape.

He smirked cockily and shook his head. It was almost as if he knew why I was asking.

"So, what did you play?" I pressed harder.

"Nothing, I am not an athlete, never was, probably never will be," he smirked again and turned his gaze to the water. Jacob had a perfectly chiseled jawbone and an athletic build. I focused my attention on him for a minute then realized I was staring.

"Okay bro, do you even lift?" This was my measly attempt to hide the fact that I had just been shamelessly staring at him.

Jacob turned back to me. He looked at me intensely and I felt my heart race. He brought his face close to my face and turned a bit so that his lips were right at my ear then whispered, "Don't call me bro."

I felt a shiver down my spine but I had mastered the art of hiding it. Every inch of my heart convinced me that he had a crush on me but every bit of common sense I had left convinced me that he was just being himself. A player. I mean, didn't he just tell me that he had a reputation with the girls.