Chapter 7

The next days following our sleepover pact were pretty routine. I was focused on school and my RA duties. Elise and I had barely spoken to each other since the night of our sleepover pact. I hadn't even seen her the next morning after I woke up because she had woken up really early to leave. I would see her sometimes during the day and exchange a few formalities before going back to my routine activities. A part of me was scared that our friendship was over before it really began.

The guys had been missing in action as well. Jacob had sent me multiple text messages during the course of the week expressing his interest to hang out with me and I had consciously denied it because of the stupid pact with Elise. A part of me slightly hoped that she was doing the same for me. I hated that I was being mean to Jacob but I wanted to keep Elise as my friend. My efforts had also been futile because Elise and I barely talked and my rejection of Jacob's advances only made him more creative. Elise better be nice to me because I am definitely making sacrifices for her.

However, today was the silver lining to wrap-up the end of a hectic first week of school. I got a notification that I had been added to a group chat created by Elise. Go figure. This was probably her tactic to talk to Jacob. The group chat consisted of Jacob, Lucas, Axel and I.

"I was thinking we should hang out again, you know, do something fun." Elise had posted before I was added to the group. The guys had suggested a couple ideas before Jacob finally asked why I wasn't in the group.

"Shouldn't Nadine be in this group chat? You know we can't have fun without her." he had stated casually which I am completely sure prompted Elise to add me to the group. I felt extremely betrayed by this and I wondered if Jacob had already come between Elise and I. I've never had a frenemy, but I am pretty sure that this is what it feels like to have one.

"Hey, guys!" I typed into the group chat.

"We've been expecting you!" Axel typed in all capital letters which caused me to chuckle a little. Axel was great and funny.

"Haha, thanks," I replied. "Do you guys know how to roller skate?" I asked. Roller skating was my favorite past time and there was always a great story to tell and wonderful memories made after roller skating.

"I love roller skating!" Lucas replied almost immediately which caused me to smile. I felt like Lucas and I had a lot in common. We were interested in life, we paid attention to detail and we both loved rollerskating. A perfect match made in heaven. Why didn't he realize that?

We finalized our plans to go rollerskating and we were set for Saturday at 6 pm. Jacob said he could pick Elise and I up and Axel and Lucas would meet us there.

"Actually, I think I am going to drive myself," I stated in a measly attempt to allow Elise the pleasure of driving alone with Jacob. I hated myself.

"Sounds good to me," Elise replied almost immediately. I noticed I was beginning to get mad at Elise. She was so annoying and I hated the fact that I couldn't just tell her. I mean, friends are supposed to make sacrifices for each other right?

It turns out that Axel couldn't make it because he was meeting up with some of his 'new' friends. Even though Jacob and Lucas tried to convince him to ditch them, he said he couldn't because he had given them his word. How great. Now it was just me, Lucas, Jacob and Elise. What could possibly go wrong?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the day was seemingly uneventful so I decided to get some work done. I had a good five minutes of uninterrupted focus and was completely in the zone till my phone buzzed and lit up to reveal yet another text message from Jacob.