Chapter 12

"Where have you been? Where has Kat been all night?" His voice was stern as he stepped out of the car.

I ignored him as I made my way past him to put my stuff in the back seat of my car.

"Kyle I'm talking to you!"

I continued to close the back door and climb into the driver's seat. I was about to turn the key when he started banging on the car window. I could hear him yelling through the glass.

"Do you realize how worried sick Janet was last night? Staying up looking for Kat all night while your out with no worries and no cares."

Janet was up all night looking? oh really.

"So she was with you all night. Well wouldn't that be nice to have a phone call or just a message saying you two were going out. We were this close to calling the police." He raised up his fingers with about an inch between them.

I kept my mouth shut and just kept looking forward.

"What? Nothing to say? Kyle look at me!"  Before I knew it he opened the driver's door and and I felt his sweaty palm sting the side of my cheek.  I finally turned to face him. My face with no emotion, but the numbing pain of his hand there. "Don't disrespect me like that. I am your father."

I wanted so badly just to yell at him and explain to him that fathers don't kick out their sons and replace them. Fathers don't make assumptions of were their kid is and not ask for the truth. Fathers don't try to erase the past.

Right then I wished I could see her again, talk to her. I wished I hadn't messed up with Claire. I wish I hadn't let Kat get to me so much. I wished that I wasn't sitting in my car letting my "father" do this to me. I wish I had the backbone to stand up for something. For myself.

I came back to reality when the front door swung open and Kat came walking down the driveway. My dad quickly turned his head to look at her. All her bruises and scars were exposed. I had a feeling it was coming and I didn't try to stop it. Maybe I was deserving of it.

Another hand whipped across my other cheek, numbing the other side of my mouth.

"What the hell did you do to her?" He yelled. "She is family! How dare you even think of touching a girl." Another slap.

I hung my head down and took a deep breath. I looked back up to see Kat just standing there, staring at me. Not defending me, not saying "No you have it wrong. He was the one the saved me". The look on her face was blank.

"Kat get back in the house." He commanded. She stood there for a second looking at me then my dad then finally turning back towards the door.

"I can't believe what I have raised. How dare you. You aren't even apologizing or defending yourself. I thought I raised a better man than that." He shook his head. "I don't want to see you around here again. If I even hear that you talked to Kat again I will have your neck between my bare hands. I can't even believe you." He muttered in disgust as he slammed the car door shut and turned towards the house. I waited until he was inside the house before I rose a hand to my cheek.

The car ride was a blurr. I got to the house and walked to the kitchen table. I sat and starred out the window. The clouds were moving through the calm sky, darkening everything. I looked down at the table and saw a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. Without even thinking or debating with myself I opened up the pack took one out and lit it.

I don't know how many I went through as I sat there, but maybe I realize now why Kat had them.

****

This is part one of the chapter. I haven't updated in so long that I thought you guys deserved something and this is all I have time to write right now. Hope you enjoy. Part two of the chapter will be up some day soon hopefully(: