Chapter 9

Okay, so thank you so far for read/faninng/voting/commenting it means so so much and I'm always happy to return the favor. I hope my story is as good as u expect it to be. Please keep enjoying(:

__________________________________________________________________

I walked up the hill, the bright green grass folding underneath my steps. The flowers were starting to bloom now. I remember when Claire and I came here over the summer. Everything was so bright and alive. We would sit for hours under the old cherry tree. She always used to talk about how much she loved the colors, smells, and feels of the tree. She once told me she wanted to get married under one of them.

The field was tucked back behind an old farmer's land. I used to go there after school to walk and clear my mind. I could never remember how I found it. It was almost like I was directed towards it. The house in the front of the farm crops had been deserted for as long as I could remember and the crop land was over grown, but as you walked past all that and past the tall oak trees you found the field. The grass was bright, earthy green and the flowers looked untouched and right in the middle of the tiny field surrounded by tall, strong trees was one cherry tree. The farmer must have known he had this which is why it was hidden, until I found it and one day brought Claire.

One day at school Claire had a break down. I wasn't sure what it was really about but I decided to bring her there. Somewhere for her to escape. When I first pulled up the the empty lot she said that I had go to be kidding and she got even more hostile as we walked through the over grown crop land, but as soon as she saw the tree she seemed to forget everything. To me it was just a tree. Sure it had nice white petals, but seriously. Claire, on the other hand, had a connection to it, and still does. We had come here a lot since then. We just sat under the tree, leaning against the trunk talking. Through the year we've adding a few things to the field. Claire decided to add an antique white bench and then a small fountain that sat next to the tiny pond. One day I brought an old candle chandelier Ira didnt want anymore, It hung perfectly from the cherry tree.

I now made my way past the last oak tree, opening myself up to the field. The first thing my eyes went to was Claire.

She was standing under the cherry tree with a present in her hands. She looked happy to see me. I smiled back at her. She had set up a large pink blanket under the tree with a straw picnic basket off to the side. She had lit all the candles on the chandelier, giving her face an orange glow.

"Glad you've found me." She said as I walked up to her. She placed the present in my hands. "I don't want you to open it now, but don't forget about it."

I laughed. "I won't, promise."

"Good, now what about some champagne?" She reached down into the basket and pulled out a glass bottle with a gold label on it. "After all, it is a special ocasion."

She took a seat on the blanket pouring the bubbly liquid into two glasses. I sat down next to her. "Thank you." I said as she handed me the drink.

"To being an adult." She said rasing her glass.

"To being an adult." I repeated as we clanked our glasses.

We sat for a moment taking it all it. The sun was almost gone, making the candle light brighter.

"This is great Claire, thank you."

"You are grealty welcomed. You only turn eighteen once." She took a sip of the alcohol. "So any great gifts come your way today?"

"Well just this is the best so far, but Ira did something really nice, too."

"What about your dad?"