Chapter 6: The Spirit Wilds

I opened my eyes and stared into the darkness of the sky. Dawn had not yet broken, but I was already up and out of bed, packing up the camp and preparing for the journey ahead. I glanced over at Wan and saw that he was still fast asleep. I decided to let him be for awhile longer and finished the preparations on my own. By the time I was finished, the sky had grown lighter. It's almost time.

I brought some vegetables over to Yi. "Did you have a good rest?" He groaned in response. "Good. Here." I gave him the food and right away he started eating. "Be sure to eat all of them," I told him. "You'll need your strength. It's just straight flying from here." I rubbed the top of his head then left to wake up Wan.

That lazybones is still asleep. I put my hands on his shoulders and shook him. "Hey, wake up." No response. I shook him harder. "Wan, wake up! We have to leave soon. You can take a nap on Yi." He didn't even stir. "Wake up idiot!" Nothing. It was irritating me to no ends. What to do? I would pour water on him, but we have to conserve it. I need something wet...wait! That's it. I looked over at Yi, who had finished eating, and called him over. He's really going to hate me for this, but whatever.

As Yi approached, I pointed over to my sleeping companion. "Yi, come over here and lick Wan." Yi stared at me, puzzled. "What's the matter?" I asked him. I pointed at Wan again. "Right here, the sleeping person under the tree." He shook his and, groaning at me, walked away. "Don't tell me, you can't see him, can you? Can't even smell him?" There was no response from my bison. I guess he really can't sense Wan.

I sighed, a little frustrated. "I guess I have no choice now. Sorry, Wan." I picked up Wan by the collar and began slapping him awake. "Hey, wake up!" I must've been hitting him hard, because he woke up pretty quickly. I didn't notice though, and continued the action.

"May----lin----stop----it!" He said between slaps. I stopped and let go of his shirt. He fell to the ground and rubbed his now red face. "What the heck was that for?"

"Sorry! I was trying to wake you up," I said innocently.

"Well," he asked getting up, "couldn't you have woken me up in a less painful way?"

"Believe me, I tried to." I told him. "You aren't the easiest person to wake up, Wan."

"Whatever." As he began walking toward Yi, his eyes fell on the cloak, sprawled on the floor. "What is this?" he asked me, picking up the cloak.

And queue blush! "Uh, you seemed cold, so I put it on you like a blanket."

"Aww, you do care about me." He smiled teasingly.

I turned away and crossed my arms. "Whatever," I said gruffly. "Just get on Yi so we can leave."

"Alright." I heard footsteps, but only a few. I knew he was right behind me. Wan put his hand on my shoulder. I don't know why, but my whole body stiffened up at the touch. "Thank you, Maylin." I could feel the blush creeping up, threatening to consume my entire face. "Oh, and, by the way," he added, "you're really cute when you blush."

And my face has officially morphed into a giant red apple. "W-what!? Wan!" I spun around to glare at him, but he was already climbing onto Yi. Irritated, I grabbed the cloak, ran over there, and climbed on, too.

"I take it we're leaving now?" he asked nonchalantly, as if nothing had happened.

"Wan, what was that for?" I asked him irritably. "I really don't like being teased about the way I look, It's not funny." No one ever really said anything like that to me when I was younger, and still around people.

Most boys my age didn't find my blotchy yellow-brown skin, freckled face, messy hair, and plain look very attractive. That, and I'm a nonbender. Those who could look past that weren't too fond of my ambitious, and somewhat hot-headed, personality. I just wasn't really noticed by anyone. So it irritated me that he had the cheek to mock me about something like that.