Silver spoon image

Acacia sat down, hands trembling as she held the files loaded with pictures, written documents and evidence of her abusers actions. He sat ten feet away from her, staring intensely, gripping his fists under the table with rage. His face looked calm but Acacia knew the trouble she was getting into as soon as she stepped foot into that court room. He had always had an upper hand, Acacia had no control over it. But today, she put her foot down. She would never step foot into school again with bruises across her body, no more questions or assumptions. No more people telling her she was faking it or she didn't have real problems because she was "privileged". No more being hungry or being told she should loose weight. No more getting yelled at by an angry drunk because they were mad with their job. No more neglect and wondering when they will come home. No more name calling and feeling worthless. She wouldn't be touched again.

•••

After testifying, the verdict was immediate. The judge called everyone in the room.
"Jury's ruling and through reviewing this case, Acacia L. Brynn will no longer be under the custody of her father, Robin K. Brynn. Instead, we will give the responsibility of Acacia to her uncle and aunt, Elena and Mike."
The room was dismissed. Acacias father said nothing. He looked her in the eye and said one thing only, "I never want to see you ever again." With that, he left.

Acacia sat next to her aunt on a bench outside the courthouse. She was in shock, the both of them said nothing. After sitting for a bit, Acacia opened her mouth but no words came out. A tear rolled down her cheek, not because of her pain or her father but because she was free.
"Hey girl, I feel like you're gunna love Florida!" Elena finally said after seeing how stunned she seemed. "We have food and clothing, your Uncle and I are so happy to have you." Acacia turned her head to her and moved her long dark hair from her face. She smiled and bear hugged her aunt. "I'm free," Acacia cried, "I'm finally free."