Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Unedited...

Kylie Gray

"Did you need a ride home from school today?" Harry asked. Lately, he had been trying to talk to me a lot more and since our lockers were close, he made it a habit to walk me to lunch and stuff. He wasn't really that bothersome, I actually thought we could be close friends.

I shrugged. "I have my bike, but can I take a rain check?" I pushed my hair back from my eyes and blinked.

He nodded and grinned. "Sure! So, how was your class?"

"Eh, it was boring."

"Yeah, Mrs. Morrow teaches a lot of boring crap."

I smiled. "I don't really mind. More time for me to catch up on some sleep."

Harry scratched the back of his head. "Yeah. Um, well I got to get to class. See you around?"

"Sure."

I was halfway to class when I heard someone say, "Hey, sweetheart."

I turned around to face Nate. "Hey," I said. Lately, it had gotten easier to talk to him too like he wanted to be friends, but sometimes he gave me looks that didn't make me think that was the case. "Are you coming to the game next Friday?"

Right, Nate was on the basketball team. "I don't know," I answered honestly.

"Well, it's our first game of the season and the team could use as much support as it can get." He grinned at me and his brown eyes twinkled.

"I'll think about it, I guess."

"Cool, so I hear you've been hanging out with Harry." It came out like a question.

I nodded. "Yeah, we're friends."

Nate smiled. "He won't like that," he muttered to himself.

I groaned quietly. Does that mean Harry liked me? Well, he did seem nice... "Yeah, well most guys aren't happy with just friends," I said with a smirk.

He stared at me. "Are you insinuating something?"

"Sweetheart," I said in a perfect mocking tone. "You know exactly what I'm insinuating." I smiled as I left him standing in the hallway with his mouth slightly open. Geez, that was a fun!

***

"You do realize that was technically flirting, right?" Zoey asked, her brown hair bouncing from her ponytail.

We were sitting on her carpeted floor, with a cookie dough ice cream container in between us. Her room was the normal, average teenage girl room with posters of guys hung on the wall and her bed covered in pillows. I sighed. "Yeah, I know. But I can't help it."

"You're toying with his feelings, too." She pointed her spoon at me. "He's going to start getting attached."

I groaned and grabbed a fluffy pillow from her bed and hugged it close to my body. "It's just fun to toy with people's feelings sometimes."

"There has to be a but..."

"But," I said, continuing. "He's a nice guy. Really sweet and good-looking too."

Zoey frowned at me. "If he asked you out would you say yes?"

I bit my lip as I contemplated this. Would I? Was I ready? "I don't know."

"You're kind of crazy to not want to," she said, wagging her spoon at me again. "I mean it's Nate freaking Ryder for heaven's sake! And he's totally got a thing for you."