7. Morning

Adwin is asleep.

The sun penetrates the darkness of Adwin's room with a single beam that warms her eyelids. Her forehead wrinkles from the shock, and her chest rise as she takes in the air of the room. As her eyes open, the light stabs her retina forcing her right hand to intercept the invading sun. She looks over to see if her roommate, a girl from Oyster Island named Brittany, is awake. Surprised she is not up surfing the Hive for the latest celebrity gossip; thankful her snoring is only a low rumble.

The heated floor greets her feet as the silk sheets tickle her thighs. A voice fills her ears, "Adwin, you have not engaged in the proper amount of sleep for your optimal performance. Please return to bed and sleep for another 42 minutes." The light from her Assem glows red, and the wrist strap vibrates when she taps the screen. The voice returns, "You have chosen to ignore what your data says is best for you. This has been added to your record. Be advised. You are three days away from your eighteenth birthday after which ignoring your data-driven suggestions will affect your access to services such as travel and Rejuve therapy."

"Thanks, Ass...em."

The Sculpt brand jeans slide on like pajama pants in winter, then with a turn of the front button they slowly mold to Adwin's figure. Taking her first three fingers she presses on her left upper thigh to create a stylish rip exposing just the lower band of her purple cotton panties. The rip of the fabric tickles her fingers as she exposes the side of her right calf ever so slightly. It needs more. With only two finger she glides upwards from her right knee to the middle of her thigh leaving tightly wound string behind that does not expose any skin.

Perfect.

The compass Kostas gave her the night before is sitting on the desk near the door, and after all the drama and excitement of its appearance Adwin has fallen back to the belief she has held for many years — my mother is dead. This compass is symbolic. Nothing more.

This feeling does not stop her from grabbing the compass on her way out the door. Riding the elevator to the roof she speaks out loud, "Assem, tell Kostas I'm on the roof near the NutriPod we found last night."

Her Assemblage responds through her tragus implants, "Kostas is currently 300 meters away and moving closer to your current location. ETA is 2 minutes and 43 seconds."

The elevator doors open and all she can see is the early dawn sky. The walls of the roof are translucent plastic so clear it's as if nothing is separating her from walking onto the clouds. From the edge the campus below looks like a tiny ant village. Her HueSats massage her temples as they slide onto her ears and rest on the bridge of her nose. "Assem, zoom HueSats to ground level." The world disappears for a split second, then the amphitheatre entrance feels her vision as clear as if she were about to walk inside. No activity down there. I guess their data says it's too early.

Adwin takes off her HueSats and slides them into her back pocket. Waking over to the island in the middle of the roof she places her hand palm down onto a black square next to the NutriPod. Once again the familiar, yet robotic, voice fills her ears, "Adwin, you did not get enough sleep last night. You have been granted extra caffeine in your coffee this morning along with a mandate to drink an extra eight ounces of water. Your vitashot will be dispensed."

"Excellent. You are so kind." The sarcasm drips from her mouth as she throws one arm out to the side and dips into a facetious bow. "Please create morning nutrition for Kostas Medwine, Reed Creek as well."

"Certainly. Anything else?"

"No, thanks." The blue light disappears from her reflection in the steel of the machine. Why do I thank them every time? They aren't real. She laughs to herself as the door swings open.