Chapter 27

"Where's Ron?", Harry asked, observing her whilst she was carefully untieing Theo's shoelaces in order to take his black Oxford wingtips off.

"Home", Hermione answered him, transforming a nearby vase into a bucket in case Theo had to puke. "He didn't want to stay until our goal was reached."

"Well, their goal has been reached now", Harry said, emphasising on the word THEIR. "Time to go home."

She narrowed her eyes and glared at him.

"I'm not leaving a sick man to fend for himself Harry", she said firmly, "That's not how I was raised."

"It's not your...", he started again.

"Job", she finished for him, knowing him so well. "I don't care, I'm not leaving."

Harry crossed the room and extended his hand to her.

"We don't belong here", he said hotheadedly. "We need to go home."

"Don't... *hiccup* Don't tell her where she belongs or not Potter", Theo grumbled, swatting at his hand, "She has too many people in her life doing that. *hiccup* She can be wherever the fuck she wants to be."

Hermione smiled fondly at Theo. He was such a sweetie sometimes, and right too. She brushed his hair back and nodded at him.

"I'm not talking to you", Harry snapped, "Come Hermione."

He tried to grab her arm, but she moved away from him with a scowl.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you Potter", Draco drawled from the entrance.

She looked up at the door and saw him leaning against the wall, Greg and Tracey standing nearby. She knew that Harry meant well, but she was glad to have them there. If she accidentally ended up killing him, they'd help her hide the body for sure.

"Shut up Malfoy", Harry spat back. He stopped glaring at her for a second to glower at Draco.

"Goodbye Harry", Hermione said sternly, "I'll leave when I'm ready to. I'll be just fine."

Harry was clearly going to object, but she turned away from him.

"I think you've got your own woman to worry about Potter", Draco said, inspecting his nails disinterestedly. "Weaslette was looking quite annoyed when I left the ballroom. And I don't think it's because I left, although that's also quite sad for her..."

Harry turned a whole new shade of red.

"We're going home", Tracey announced, totally ignoring the drama, "Call us if you need us."

She winked at Hermione and took off, Greg's fingers entangled with hers.

"Hermione...", Harry said pleadingly.

"I'm staying Harry", she told him firmly, crossing her arms. "They kept me safe during the war, so I'll be perfectly fine with them now."

"But it's not, you now... Decent.", he objected. "People saw you leave the room and not to go outside. They probably saw Malfoy following after us. They're both attractive men and Ron..."

Draco had to put some serious effort in keeping a straight face.

"Get. Out. Now", she hissed, furiously staring daggers at him.

"Alright Potter", Draco interfered, before she could kill Wonderboy. "Time to go now."

He grabbed Harry's arm, but was shoved off rather strongly. Both men stood nose to nose now, their wands forgotten and their fists ready.

"Harry Dear", Narcissa glided into the room suddenly, "Your wife is looking for you. All the guests have left by now and she is rather lonely. Shouldn't you take her home in that charming dress of hers?"

Gently but firmly she took his arm and guided him to the door. Harry kept staring at Hermione as he went.

"Don't worry", Narcissa said to him, following his gaze, "I promised Hermione's husband that I would get her home safely, so I will."

Reluctantly Harry broke his stare and turned to her.

"It was a lovely ball Mrs. Malfoy", Harry said rigidly, "Goodnight."

Without a glance to anyone else, he left.

Hermione sighed, and turned back to a now snoring Theo.

"I'd better go", she said reluctantly.

"Oh don't be daft Dear", Narcissa said, "I promised your husband that you'd get home safely. I can't let you walk the grounds alone now, so late at night. I'm sure Draco can provide you with an excellent bed to sleep in, goodnight."

Narcissa glided out of the room, leaving a befuddled Hermione and a grinning Draco behind.

"Your mother is strange sometimes", she said, shaking her head in disbelief. "When I was here before it wasn't really her decision, but now, does she really want me to sleep here? You know, with you, as a married woman?"

"You wound me", Draco mocked, putting his hand to his heart, "Don't you trust me?"

"Sure I trust you", she scoffed, swatting his shoulder lightly, "You know that. But why does she trust us like that?"

"She doesn't", he shrugged, "She trusts herself, raising me right."

"Cocky", she jested, nudging him.

"A true Lady Malfoy", he grinned.

She giggled and pushed a rebellious strand of hair away from her face.

"Let's call it a night", Draco said seriously, tucking the offending hair behind her ear.

Hermione sighed and turned away from him to walk back to the bed. Gently she brushed Theo's arm. He kept snoring steadily, lost to the world.

"Poor Theo", she said, "He'll have a massive hangover tomorrow."

"Yes", he shrugged, "He brought that onto himself though."

She waved her wand to relieve Theo of his dressrobes and tucked him in gently.

"Why does he always drink so much at parties?", she asked, smoothing down the covers.

"He's lonely", he answered, watching her taking care of his friend. "And scared, I think."

"Scared?", she frowned, looking up at him.

"He hasn't been very lucky in past relationships, with men or women", he pointed out, "He told me once that he always feels like there's something missing, no matter which person he's with, no matter which gender. And no matter how much he likes them, he never seems to be able to make it work."

"Because there is something missing", she said, her thoughts going to her own marriage.

"It's late", he remarked, watching her intently.

"Will he be alright on his own?", she hesitated.

Draco walked to her side.

"I'll have one of the house elves check up on him", he promised.

She scowled at him. How dare he keep up those poor elves after such a long day!

"Sterry only works at night", he anticipated, before she could start on house elf rights. "He prefers it that way. And he gets paid extra too."

"Thank you", she smiled.

"Come to bed with me Hermione", he said, his voice sounding a little deeper than usual.

He must be as tired as she was.

Without hesitation she took his hand and allowed him to lead her to their bedroom. Err... His bedroom.