#11 - It's Too Late Now

After father died last month, my mother stopped talking. She isolated herself and drowned herself in mourning and misery. Everyday, before going to school, I would hear her crying inside her room. But when I would ask her what's wrong, she would not answer me. I'm beginning to get tired of it because instead of looking after me, she just selfishly allowed herself to be engulfed by her sadness. Days passed, and I almost forgot that mother exists. But, who could blame me? She locked herself in her room and would never talk to anyone. Once, my grandparents and aunts visited us, but she just shut them out. I carried the burden of my relatives' queries about my mother, and I hate her because of that. After all, it's not like she's entirely responsible for my father's death. It was an accident. It's dad's fault that he answered her call while driving. He could have just ignored it and called her back after he properly parked somewhere. But, he answered her call. And that's when the truck hit his car. He quickly died because of that, leaving him all tangled up in a gory fashion inside the wreck. I can still clearly remember how he looked when we arrived on the scene. My mom, crying and shouting in despair and extreme sorrow. But, again, it wasn't her fault. Yet, she still blames herself. I should be blamed actually. I didn't tell her the real reason why father deserved to die that way.

"Mom,?" I knocked on her door, hoping for a response. But there wasn't. I sighed at this, but went on with what I wanted to say.

"That night, when you called dad. I saw him that morning with another woman. She was kissing dad inside his car. Remember you asked me to bring his lunch to him because he forgot it? That's when I saw them. It was actually your bestfriend he was having an affair with. So, that day, knowing how reckless of a driver father is, I told you to call him just when I was sure he's driving his way home. The chance of him getting hit by another vehicle was very slim. But, it's worth a try. I didn't want him to go around deceiving you. Cheating with your bestfriend. And guess what, he really met an accident and died in an instant. So, I guess, you have to blame me now, right? "

I opened the door to her room and saw what I'd been expecting all this time. I knew this would happen. But, I guess it's too late now. Had I said this earlier, this wouldn't even happen.

In the darkness of her room, I could almost see her silhouette hanging on the ceiling. Then, her body swayed to face me. How her face was blue and her eyes pushed back to her head. Now I know why it stinks inside the house for how many days now. It's because of her.

If I told her earlier what I told her now, she could have thought differently and avoid taking her own life.

But, again, it's too late now...

-fin-