13

Get some tissues prepared because it's about to get real...

___

Carter's POV

I found her.

My mom is really here.

Just when I wanted to give up and go back home, only to turn out we were staying in the same motel. I just stood there, frozen, staring at her like she wasn't real. Please, don't let me be dreaming.

I saw Ava from the corner of my eye move up to us. When I looked at her, it made me realize that we found her. I was so grateful for her at this moment because it was her idea. But then I started to feel guilty for what I said earlier to her. If we didn't find my mom, it wouldn't have been her fault. It was neither of our faults.

Ava gave me a soft look, her voice coming out the same. "I'll be in the motel room."

I nodded, giving her a small smile. She walks off and I bring my attention back to my mom.

She looked...different. Her skin was paler than before and she had dark circles under her eyes.

I feel a tear roll down my cheek as I stare at her. I finally get the courage to speak. "Hi, mom."

She gives me a smile while tears build up in her eyes. "Hi, my boy." She wraps her arms around me and I grow stiff for a moment before slowly hugging her back. I leaned my head atop of hers and we just embraced each other in silence for a while.

We pull away and she smiles lightly at me. "So, how are you?"

Really? She left me - her husband and her daughter - for three years and the first thing she says is, 'how are you'?

I quickly become furious. "How am I? Really?"

She steps back in shock at my hostile attitude but then guilt overtakes her expression. "Yeah, that was a stupid question. Carter...I'm so sorry."

My face becomes stoic. "Why did you leave?" My voice breaks at the end.

Her eyebrows scrunch up. "I was afraid of hurting you again or your sister or your dad. I didn't trust myself after I...I did what I did."

I shake my head in denial. "But you wouldn't have. Do you know how hard it's been for us without you? We could've helped you get better."

"I was afraid to take that risk."

I chuckle, humorlessly. "For three years?"

"Yes, for three years." she says, sternly. "Why are you making me feel bad about this? I said I was sorry."

"Because," I snap, "of that letter you sent me. You said you weren't coming back. Why would you not come back?"

She shakes her head, tears streaming down her face. "You guys are better without me, Carter."

"You don't get to decide that!" I shout.

She stays quiet at my outburst.

"You don't get to decide that, mom. It's unfair." I say, quietly.

She looks down at the ground in shame. The sound of traffic fills the silence between us and I sigh, running my hand down my face.

She looks up, wiping at her face, looking to the side and then back at me. "So, you came here to find me?"

I nod, giving an exhausting look. "Yes, I want you to come back home."

She looks unsure. "I don't know..."

"Why not?" I cried out.

"The damage has already been done. What if your father doesn't want me back or your sister because of how long I've been gone?"

"No, mom, they talk about you coming back everyday. We all do." I explain to her.

"Carter..."

Out of desperation and sadness, I drop down to my knees and hug her legs. Tears are coming out of my eyes full force now because this was my only chance to convince her to come back and I was not gonna lose it. "Please, mom. Please."

She sighed deeply, her hands going into my hair, combing through it. "Oh, sweetie, I love you."

"If you love me, come back. Come back home." I whisper.

It goes silent for a few moments before she whispers, "Okay."

"Okay?" I say, looking up at her, making sure I heard right.

"Okay, I'll come back."

A/N:

This was an emotional rollercoaster 😭😭

But, yay! She's coming back :)