Family Reunion

Oswald felt like a fool. Ed's betrayal had actually shocked him, yet it had been plain to see for anyone not blinded by sentiment.

"The most brilliant minds are often blind to the most obvious truth"

Ed had been honest with him from the beginning, well... in his own strange way. He will never chose Oswald. Even when given a choice between honest affection and false.

Oswald wanted to blame Lee for her manipulation, but despite Ed's obvious weakness for any female who showed even the slightest of attention he wasn't stupid. He knew Lee was using him, yet still he'd choose her over their friendship.

Of course, just because Ed knew she was using him didn't make him any less foolish. Ed's desperate desire to play the hero, (everyone knows that Jim's job) when all he has ever been is the villain, is ridiculous. He's fooling himself if he believes saving the worthless trash in the Narrows will make that self-righteous bitch love him. Ed can never be anyone but who he is... and she knows that.

What had Oswald tied up in knots, days after, was that the betrayal had actually hurt. Much more than he believed himself capable of feeling again. It was visceral, shock, shame and sadness all at once, and hit him the same as the bullet to his gut.

The only solace he could take was that it was familiar ground. Trust then the inevitable betrayal. It was an old routine and he was more than capable of masking his pain as rage.

Much to his frustration constant rage was unsustainable. As his anger faded he was left with only his pain and regret along with an overwhelming sense of loneliness. In his emotional turmoil he had instinctively gravitated towards the Mansion, and the memories of happier times, as he prepared to drink his feelings away.

"How could I be this foolish! Love is a weakness I cannot afford"

Half a bottle of vodka drowned yet he still can't believe he had sacrificed his revenge, and essentially his kingdom, to save the traitor. Killing Sophia would have allowed him to reassert control with minimal fuss, but now he was painted even more inefficient. Not only did he allow himself to be overthrown, because of his love for another, but he was then subsequently shown up by the self titled Queen of the Narrows, in order to save a loved one. A loved one who then betrayed him.

"Stupid. Stupid. Stupid!"

He was now the laughing stock of the underworld, a weak little freak easily manipulated by his affections. When would he learn that trusting Ed risked not just his heart but his empire.

"Never again!" he muttered, before quickly gulping the last mouthful of vodka in his glass.

He was contemplating dragging is lonely self to bed, but instead reached for the bottle of vodka to pour another drink, when he sensed someone enter the room behind him.

"Well this is kinda sad." a sultry female voice observed.

Oswald twisted towards the voice. "Who are you?" he demanded as he faced the unknown woman.

"This is all I need. One of Gotham's resident crazies breaking into my house"

Oswald took a sip of his drink then snapped "And what the hell are you doing in my house?"

The tall brunette laughed "Oh right, I have a new face." She continued to walk into the room, not in the least concerned about the enraged Penguin.

Oswald raised an eyebrow at the advancing woman and snarled "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

The brunette laughed again. She appeared amused by Oswald's wrath and her giggles seemed to imply he had asked a ridiculously obvious question. She paused for a second, as if waiting for something to click, before offering a sarcastic "It's me Ivy."