Day 1

I sit in the middle of the row of students at my college. The online dictionary states that the middle is equally distant from the extremes or outer limits. I feel like that suits my life almost perfectly. When I was a child I stayed away from everything extreme, and I still do. I go to university like all 20 year olds, I learn and listen, I play along with everybody else.

I'm a middle person with a middle life.

Right now I'm sitting on my bed, posting the pictures I've taken of kittens on my tumblr. My roommate is out finding me a late birthday present. It's my birthday today and I'm turning 21, I can finally drink! (Not that I'm going to.)

Sitting alone is basically my speciality since I don't have a boyfriend and my only friend is the one I'm forced to be friends with. But I love her. I've only received one birthday present so far, its from my dad and mom and brother. It's a necklace with a small silver star on it, since I loved star gazing as a little girl.

I closed off my tumblr and decided to go to a bar. It's 10:30 at night and I want to do something special for myself. I left a note for Ashley and, put on a knee length lace white dress, flats, make up, and ran out the door. I've never been outside campus alone and to a bar before. It's pretty exciting, actually.

I walked downtown to a small local pub where no one goes to. Only a couple of people are scattered across the area. I sat down at the bar, a seat away from a boy dressed in black with shaggy black hair done up in a weird mohawky fashion. The waitress behind the bar walked up to me. "One beer please." I told her with a smile.

The guy next to me chuckled. I spun toward him. "Is something wrong?" I asked, my confidence shooting through the roof. He continued to snicker then ask. "Are you sure your old enough to be drinking little girl?" he asked. His voice is smooth and young and kind of turned me on. "Yes, I'm 21 for your information. I can legally drink." I told him. He took another swig of alcohol. "Whatever." He mumbled. The waitress gave me a beer and I quickly took a sip. The alcohol hit me harder than I expected. I spat it up and sealed my eyes shut.

"Take sips. Your a beginner." The man turned toward me and I got a full view of his face. He's so hot, god must've sent him down from heaven. Attractive, sharp features that I've never seen before and beautiful eyes that I couldn't stop looking at. "Well- I -" I stuttered. The man spun back around and took out a cigaret. "I would offer you one, but I don't want you to die." He lit the cigaret and puffed out some smoke.

I rolled my eyes and I saw him smirking. "I'm not a little girl." I told him. "Sure." He said sarcastically. "Really? How old are you? You don't look that much older than me." I replied, facing him. "I'm 25, for your information." He said taking my sentence. We sat in silence for a little bit, but then I told him. "You shouldn't be smoking." He turned toward me and stared me straight in the eye. "I'm doing this to me so I die easier, not for pleasure. I'm not like you." I shook my head in disbelief.

"Why? Why would you want to kill yourself?" I asked him. He leaned against the bar and shook his head. "Never mind." I stared at my beer, debating whether or not to take another sip. I rubbed my hands up and down my arms uncomfortably. The stranger put out his cigaret and took another swig of beer.

"Promise me you won't try to drink again." He said. I looked at him. "Why?" I asked. He looked up at me. "...It doesn't suit you." At that moment, just to bother him, I took a sip of my beer. He rolled his eyes and stood up. "I'm Matthew. See you around." And with that, he walked away.

-

When I got home, Ashley is already asleep. I quietly snuck into my bed, removing my clothes, putting on a giant tee shirt, and crawling into my small bed. I fell asleep quickly and quietly, right when I was about to fall asleep, I heard Ashley say to me. "Happy Birthday." I smiled, then went to sleep.