Chapter Five

"Look at you, made up all cute." Kelly laughed as she pulled out of my driveway.

"Shut up, I'm not."

"Is that actually makeup on your face? Wow, little Molly has grown up," Kelly mocked, taking a slow ride over to the bar.

"I had the time." That was partially the truth. I also wanted to add some color to my washed out face. Lack of sleep was really taking a toll on me.

"So this has nothing to do with Ben then?" She was enjoying this way too much.

"Not at all. Don't even start."

"What? He did invite you to the show."

"To be nice." I crossed my arms.

"Nice is saying hello. This wasn't to be nice. The poor boy still hasn't gotten over you."

"Yes he has. You didn't spare me a second of his escapades with the girls around here."

"Okay, he's dated a few girls, but they never went anywhere, and I haven't seen him with anyone in months."

"He's twenty-three, that's normal."

"Sure, but I don't believe for a second the extra effort tonight isn't for him. But if it wasn't, and if instead it was for Gavin, your effort was wasted. They're working tonight."

"It's not for Gavin," I said quickly.

Kelly laughed. "He was talking poor Tom's ear off about you today."

"Come on, we talked last night about stupid, random things."

"He told Tom he thinks you guys really connected, and he can't wait to see where it goes."

I slapped my leg. "He did not."

"Uh huh. And don't kill him, but Tom gave him your number." Kelly looked ready for an onslaught.

"Is he crazy?"

"You know Tom. He's just trying to help. He thinks you need a big, strong man to take care of you."

"As compared to a small, weak one?"

"You have to admit, Gavin is big. He even makes Tom seem tiny. And he's damn hot. I wonder if all of him is as big." Kelly grinned wickedly.

"Stop, stop!"

"Come on. He'd be like your personal Brawny man."

"Excuse me?"

"You know the guy from the paper towel ads from eons ago."

"If you say so. Anyway, didn't we just discuss this last night? And I distinctly remember telling you I wasn't interested."

"Uh huh, and I warned you that Tom was on a mission. But like I said, you're safe tonight."

Just like the previous night, Kelly pulled into a spot out front of Gill's. Wearing a short jean skirt and a gray tank that had an almost sparkly quality to it and didn't completely hide the fact that I had a chest, I kind of understood what Kelly was getting at. Still, it's not like I was wearing a dress.

"We're right on time. They should be on real soon." Kelly opened the door and we walked inside. We grabbed a few beers before pushing past the bar.

The Grizzlies must really bring in a crowd, I thought, because the place was twice as packed as the night before. Kelly led us over to a table off to the side. It was close enough we'd get a good view, but not enough to immediately bring us to the band's attention.