6. The Boy Who lived a Short, Long Life

It had been a while since Dee last dreamed of her. In fact, it had been a while since he dreamed at all. But here she was, and she was wearing her favorite dress made of pink silk and white lace at the hems of her skirt and sleeves. The edges of her dress were decorated with golden borders and pink fabric roses. Her long, golden locks were perfectly arranged under her favorite pink hat adorned with roses and feathers that matched her attire...

She looked as lovely as Dee remembered.

He finally realized he was dreaming when he had to look up at her. He was smaller, a kid, and she was holding his tiny purple hand like she always used to. She was showing that beautiful smile of hers to the people around them even though they were being looked at with disgust. Dee knew they were looking at him and his skin, but he also knew she was trying to act normal, to pretend that there was nothing to look at.

They were in the lobby of the local theater. Dee had been excited back then because it was his first time going there, but everyone's stares made him feel uncomfortable.

"Do not pay then any attention, Daemon," she whispered. "We are here to enjoy ourselves, and so we will."

Next thing he knew, they were sitting inside the theater. She seemed hypnotized by the show being performed in front of them. The lights were off and Dee noticed her face was reflecting a blueish light. When he looked at the front of the stage he saw a big screen instead of actors. They were in a modern movie theater.

"How...?" He said out loud. He had been alive to see them in person, but not her. Suddenly, he remembered he was in a dream where anything could happen. He sighed, "I forgot this isn't real,"

"You are right, darling," she said without taking her eyes off the screen. The movie was in black and white, but the actors and props didn't look that old. "None of this is real, not even me," she smiled again, with a hint of sadness this time, as if realizing for the first time that she wasn't alive anymore.

"Why are we here?" Dee asked. They were alone in the theater now and he felt happy that no one else was looking at him as if he were a monster.

"Jesus, Daemon, is that how you treat your own mother after all this time? I thought you would be happy to see me,"

Dee squeezed her hand. "I am, trust me, but I haven't seen you in so long I'm just confused,"

She squeezed his hand back as a single tear ran down her left cheek. However, she didn't stop smiling. "Your accent is gone..."

Dee let go of her hand. "I've lived for a long time, and in different places."

His mother finally looked at him. "I am worried for you, darling, you will face so many hard times from now on..."

"I already have," Dee said. He remembered the years he promised he would forget. "And you weren't there to see them,"

"Because you left,"

"But I came back,"

She nodded. "When it was too late,"

Dee decided to watch the movie and realized that instead of actors it was Dollys and Aida on the screen, but something else felt wrong.

They didn't have angelic runes in their bodies. When Dee met them they had already Ascended and he had never seen them as mundanes, not even through pictures.

The first scene he saw was Dollys yelling at someone, a girl, and she was loosing her temper as she walked to a different room and locked the door. She was breathing heavily and Dee saw she was trying to hold back some tears.