Chapter 2

• Dedicated to Lara Bullock

As I watched Harry walk away from me, I couldn’t help but wonder why I had actually accepted his offer. I knew it was just breakfast, an innocent meal that implied nothing else but drinking coffee or tea and eating some toast – or maybe pancakes – but for some reason I couldn’t stop thinking about the ulterior motive I had. If I had any, that is.

“Maybe I do,” I thought as I opened the front door and let Romeo in.

I took off my trainers and followed my dog towards the kitchen and slid one of the big glass panes open so he could step outside into the garden.

Now that I thought about it, I wondered why Harry had insisted so much in going for breakfast anyway. What is wrong with him? We didn’t even talk for five minutes and he was there inviting me to---

My thoughts were interrupted by Romeo barking. I quickly glanced at the microwave clock. I would have enough time to have a shower and get dressed if I washed Romeo now. I couldn’t really leave the poor dog dirty like that until I got home at night.

I turned the radio on and scolded the dog “Next time we go for a run, if you’re planning on rolling around in mud let me know beforehand…” He just looked at me with his most innocent face and drank from the flow as he waggled his tail happily while I splashed some water on him. He loves water, this dog.

After I was done with Romeo, I quickly undressed and tossed the clothes in the washing machine.

‘We’re all going to One Direction’s show next week, right?’ I heard someone say on the radio.

'They are overrated!' someone chirped in.

I turned the washing machine on and started walking towards the stairs.

‘They're not! And I can’t wait to see them!'

'Me either! I’ve heard the show is great plus they look so hot now they're all grown up!’ a woman said and everyone laughed.

'Who's your favourite?'

‘Harry. Hands down. His green eyes and curls are just---! And that bad-boy image with all the tattoos he has…’

I walked up the small spiral staircase towards my room.  Harry, green eyes. Hmmm. I walked past my bedroom and into the bathroom and quickly stepped into the shower. A happy coincidence, maybe.

A few minutes later I was already dressed and drying my hair with a towel. I’d chosen a pair of beige skinny jeans, a black top, and a pair of flat shoes with little silver studs. It was supposed to be warm by midday, but you could never actually tell if the weather would be nice or not if you lived in England. I’d learned that the hard way: the previous year I’d left my house in the middle of a sunny June morning and had to buy a horrid £5 umbrella which didn’t do much except for breaking after I walked two blocks. I got to the office totally soaked. Never again am I going to trust the weather forecast.

I quickly applied some concealer and mascara and walked back downstairs, checking if Romeo had food and water and stroking him lovingly.

“He didn’t even have tattoos…” I told Romeo who just stared at me as I spoke to him. I stood up, grabbed my phone and purse and locked the front door. “He did have a jacket on, though…” I added to what I now was calling 'The Mystery of the Two Harrys'.

To be honest, I didn’t even remember what this guy in the band looked like. I should start paying more attention to celebrities, really. Maybe I’d walked past a Hollywood actor and I never realized because I’m just too lost in my own world.