Chapter 17

The summer heat overwhelmed me as I stepped out of the black car which had driven me to the 02 Arena that afternoon. One Direction was performing a one-off show and Harry had insisted I attended the concert because he wanted me to meet his friends. Or because his friends wanted to meet me. He couldn’t quite decide which statement was truer.

A smile crossed my lips as I approached the back entrance and I spoke to a security guard. “Hi,” I said softly. “I’m--- I don’t know how this works but I’m here because Harry said I should come here?”

The blue-eyed man frowned as he looked at me from head to feet. “No fans, sorry.”

I stared down at myself, trying to spot what I was wearing to make him think that. “Really, do I look like a fan?”

“Well, anyone could be a One Direction fan these days.”

“But I’m not,” I shook my head. I couldn’t believe I was having this conversation. “Listen, I’m Leah. Leah Hart? I’m pretty sure he told you I’m coming…”

“Nope,” he shook his head and looked away from me.

“Wh--- but he said he’d let the security guard at the back entrance know?” I frowned as I looked for my phone in the abyss my purse was. “I’m sure he said that…”

“He didn’t say that name…” he replied dryly and looked at his watch, completely ignoring me. "... he talked about another woman."

Momentarily, I stopped and just figured this man clearly didn't know a thing. I let a loud sigh out – I had been doing that a lot, lately – as I checked Harry’s last text. I was in the car when he messaged me saying that he’d already given my name at this door so they would let me in.

“He did tell you.” I showed the security guard my phone but he looked away. “Excuse me?” Man, he was rude! “I’m showing you Harry’s text from like, ten minutes ago?” I insisted, unsuccessfully trying not to sound exasperated. “He did tell you so you’re going to let me in.” I stated firmly.

“Wow.” The big man stared at me with a blank look on his face. He looked scary even though he was just standing there not doing anything but breathing. But honestly? I didn't care.

“Wow?” I repeated. I couldn’t believe this was happening! Why would Harry say one thing for another? “Is that all you’re going to say?” I shook my head and proceeded to call Harry – there was no way I would argue with a random person at the door.

As I put my phone to my ear, I heard the security guard laugh. “Welcome Leah. I’m Paul, the boys’ tour manager. Come on in, we were waiting for you.” He added with a big grin on his face as he held the door open for me. “Well, then?” he gestured with his head.

With pursed lips, I put my phone back in my bag and shot him a death glare. “That wasn’t funny.” I said seriously as I walked in through the door.

“Don’t blame me, it was the boys’ idea.” He chuckled and handed me a lanyard pass with the words ‘Access all areas’ imprinted. “Put it on around your neck, doll. They’ll chuck you out if you don’t have one.” He informed me with a smile and started walking ahead of me.

Well then, if the tour manager does these things I can’t imagine what’s next.

We walked silently through a corridor until we reached a huge door which Paul held open for me. I have to admit I was feeling particularly nervous. Not because I was going to meet four other celebrities apart from my--- my… my Harry. The fact that these boys meant the world to him made me anxious. He had told me how much he relied on them, that they were like his brothers and how much he respected them and their opinions. If they didn’t like me then we would have a problem. A big one.