Chapter Four~A Story

Sarah’s POV

Okay, what do I do now? What do I do now? What do I do now?

-Uhm … I … My name is …

At that precise moment Ash shouted

-You ate the entire freaking omelet!! Damn this isn’t even your house and …

-Ash! Don’t talk to her like that! She’s our guest.

-I can …

While they were arguing, I was looking for a solution. I could tell them my real name, or I could invent someone with the risk of committing errors in the future. I looked outside to see the ocean, my home. It was frustrating to know how close I was to my freedom and yet it was out of reach. There was no way I could get into the water fast enough on those legs and I can’t risk taking them to my home.

-So what’s your name?

-What?

He laughed.

-Your name cupcake

The other one came in laughing

-Wow, not pumpkin this time?

-(His eyes narrowed before drifting somewhere far away)Well apparently girls don’t like it when I name them after vegetables.

I looked at him in shock. I remember telling him that. For some reason it made me blushed, I quickly looked down before they could see my flaming cheeks. The “dog” (harry animal which human keep as pets) lay it’s head on my lap. Not knowing what to do I awkwardly patted it. As I looked into his big blue eyes, something clicked in me and I knew what to do.

-No kidding. What gave that away? Was it the carved pumpkin in the stores or was it the …

-Shut up Luke!

-Sarah

They both looked at me

-What?

-My name is Sarah. And you are right many girls don’t like it when they are compared to vegetable. How would you like it if I called you tomato? As for the omelet, I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to eat all of it.

They both starred at me. Before the younger one spoke

-My name is Luke and this is my brother Ash. My aunt found you on the beach. You were unconscious so we brought you back into the house. (He paused for a little while) Where did you come from?

Jenna was looking at me curiously. More precisely my shoulder. Escaping the answer I asked

-Is there something wrong?

- Hmm? ... No, nothing wrong. Guys, why don’t you go out surf a little?

They both pouted.

-But I don’t want to surf.

-Okay then. Let me phrase it differently: Get out

The boys quickly got out as they saw the stare of there aunt. I turned to Jenna

-You’re not from her are you? You’re one of them.

I looked at her with big eyes

-I… I don’t know what you’re talking about.

-Don’t worry I won’t tell.

I looked down to the floor

-How? How did you know?

-Your face and your shoulder … they are basically healed and I bet that there isn’t a scratch on the back of your head. Plus you weren’t able to walk. It takes a few hours for your body to get used to the legs. And now that I can see your eyes it’s clear. She had the same.

We silently stared at each other.

-I just want to go home. It’s very nice of you to have taken care of me, but I need to get back home. I have a sister …and …and she has no one …and she needs me …and…

I was starting to become a mess

-Honey, calm down. Let me tell you a story. Once upon a time there was a young woman who took a walk on the beach. She just followed her dog who led her to the rocks. That’s when she saw her: a mermaid. A beautiful long tale and a wonderful face. The problem was that she was pierced by what seemed to be an arrow. The woman ran to the creature and helped her get the arrow out. The wound instantly started healing even if it took a few hours, it finally disappeared. But the mermaid was scared knowing hunters had been following her and her husband. The woman helped the mermaid to get dry which allowed her to grow legs. She soon learned how to walk. And after days of searching, she gave up on finding her husband alive. A few weeks after she had been found, the mermaid told the woman that it was time for her to leave. By staying near her home she was endangering her people. The next day she was  gone, leaving only a note saying: “One day a young mermaid will wash up on the beach. She is supposed to restore the balance between humans and merfolk. Take her in and help her as you did for me. You won’t regret it.”

I was completely still. I wasn’t fooled, it was my mother she was talking about. My lips tightened. She had been alive and didn’t bother to give us a sign.

-Anywho here you are now, barley a year after the last one. So I have three questions for you: Who are you? How did you get here? And why weren’t you a mermaid, even though you were touching saltwater on the beach, as I found you?

I was still starring at the ground. She knew. She knew everything. Almost everything. Could I trust her? Should I trust her? Maybe this is all a setup to make me confess. How am I supposed to know? I am me, not very smart, just good at learning things by heart like vocabulary from Ms. Gins class. And then there was this woman in front of me basically asking me to give her all my secrets.

-You don’t trust me do you?

I looked up at her

-That’s what I thought. Wait here a second.

She went to the “fridge” and opened the “freezer”. She took out a few boxes and put them on the counter next to her. Then she took a bag out of it. Opened it and took a little jewelry box out.

-The other mermaid gave me this. I am supposed to give it to the one who doesn’t trust me. Guess that’s you.

I carefully took the box and opened it. There was a simple silver ring in it. Two branches slung in each other. It seemed familiar. Then it hit me … This was my mums ring. I remember playing with it when I was little as she had taken it off to do the dishes. My sister and I always fought about who would get it later. But it had disappeared with her.

My whole world crashed. I had been right: she was alive. How could she do this to me? To Lea?

-She also gave me this.

Jenna handed me a letter. I carefully opened it. But before I read it I looked up to her. She smiled at me.

-I’m going to look what the boys have done this time. It’s awfully quiet.

She started to go out, but I had a question first

-Wait (she turned) Do you know? About them I mean?

-(She looked sad) Yes, I do. I know they are hunters. And I regret it, but it has been the family business for years. You will have to be careful around them. But at the moment they don’t seem to suspect anything. And be really careful around Ash, he tends to plays with the hearts of girls. And each time they fall for it. I’ve seen the way he looks at you, I think you might be his next target. Don’t make the same mistake as the others did.

She turned and went outside.

-One last thing (I looked back up). Don't make hasty decisions. We often regret those

And then she left.

So here I was, in the house of humans with one who knew about me while the other two were theoretically chasing me, in a room with a ring and a letter of my not-so-dead-mum. Aren’t things just peachy these days?

Sighting I opened the letter and began to read.