seven

Weeks had passed since Kaneki and I walked together on that beautifully snowy night. It had been relatively calm in Aogiri, Kaneki had been sent off on odd jobs here and there, but he tutored me when he had the time, and I got to know more about Riko whilst he was away.

"So how come you spend so much time with the eyepatch, huh?" Riko teased as we walked together.

"Kaneki?" I asked, a little shocked. "We don't spend that much time together do we?"

"Oh no" my friend responded sarcastically. "You're only the only person I've ever seen him with besides Ayato! Don't you think he's kind of cute by the way?"

"Who, Kaneki?!" I blushed.

"No, Ayato, silly!"

"Oh my gosh, no, definitely not."

"Really?" Riko looked at me.

"Ayato is an asshole" I scowled. "You'd do best to stay away from him"

"That tough outer shell just makes them even hotter though, right?" Riko nudged me.

I laughed.

A chill blew in, and I pulled my red cloak tighter around my shoulders.

"Think we'll get sent out on a job anytime soon?" I asked as we walked.

Riko shrugged. "Dunno. I don't really mind lazing around and doing nothing though" she laughed sweetly.

"I've not been sent on a job yet" I mumbled. "Maybe the higher-ups don't even know I exist"

"I'm sure they do. Tatara watches this place like a hawk. A creepy kind of cute hawk."

I stared at Riko in disbelief. "You're unbelievable"

"Why is that?" she giggled.

"You're so pretty, you'd have your pick of any nice guy in Tokyo! But instead, you want to go for the worst guys!"

"Excuse me miss!" my friend scolded. "How long has it been since you last had a boyfriend?!"

"That's not the point" I rolled my eyes.

"Exactly" Riko responded, happy with herself. "So don't give me relationship advice."

I was about to change the subject, although that would most likely be in vain as it was difficult to have a serious conversation with Riko about anything other than boys, when I heard a familiar voice call my name.

"Dakota!"

I swivelled around to see Kaneki standing at the end of the hall, waving for me to join him. It warmed my heart to see his face, safe and sound.

"That's my cue" I grinned at Riko. "See you later"

I jogged over to Kaneki and wrapped my arms around his waist. His arms rested comfortably around my shoulders. A tight hug had become our favoured greeting. I wasn't really sure what that meant, but it didn't really matter to me either.

"How have you been?" he smiled at me as he pulled away from our hug.

"Bored as hell" I scowled. "I wish you would take me out with you"

"I take you out all the time"

"No, I mean out out" I responded. "Like on a mission"

Kaneki looked at me. "It's pretty dangerous you know"

"I can take care of myself"

"I have a present for you" my snowy-haired friend said, changing the subject. Kaneki always did this, when he was uncomfortable talking about something, he would just change the subject completely and pretend we were never even talking about it in the first place. I'd be lying if I said it didn't annoy me, but I suppose it annoyed me less when presents were involved.