Interlude: I need you

Dear Sirius,

I've rewritten this letter so many times, crossed out so many lines and definitely contributing to deforestation from all of the wasted paper.

It's hard to remember I used to tell you anything in a heart beat, how I trusted you so effortlessly. I know I haven't written to you—ever—since you were sent there, but it's important.

Our Sasha pointed out I couldn't put off telling you any longer. What if one of the prisoners families let slip what had happened?

Lyra is in a magically-induced coma.

She has been for five months, and I'm terrified she won't wake up again.

She is best friends with Harry, and they've taken after us, James and Lily. They were trying to save the stone of immortality from Voldemort when Lyra's friend Katherine was almost mortally wounded.

Lyra gave her everything to save her and hasn't woken up since.

Dumbledore believes the Phoenix heart I was force-fed is making her body regenerate at a slower rate than her ability would usually.

He believes the soul from the Phoenix lingers in her blood and is trying to protect her from further harm. Dumbledore is puzzled and unsure when she will wake up again—or if she will.

She was burning herself out to protect her friends.

It's a quality I used to see in you, Sirius. I still want to believe you are innocent and didn't kill Peter.

I know you're in Azkaban and can't leave but I... I need you. I've never needed you more. Sasha has gone off the rails, blaming herself and... hurting herself. Poor Harry is so quiet.

Please let me come and see you.

Maybe you'll have an idea of how to wake our little stardust up.

Love,

Cara Black (Lynx)

———

A/N Ahhh! Part one of this story is now over! (It's still the same book)

Thoughts of Cara contacting Sirius?

As you may have guessed we're having a time skip: to the end of Chamber it Secrets! Lyra will be awake next chapter.... and a lot will have changed in her absence.