38. What happened that Night

"I found this by your secret entrance." Snape spat, flinging the invisbility cloak aside and entering the crowded room.

He pointed his wand directly at my Father. Almost by instinct, Sasha and I leapt up and stood in front of him, our wands raised.

"I suppose you're all surprised I'm here." Snape smirked, knowing he had all the power in the room. "I was trying to find him—" he nodded at Remus. "I was taking him his potion—and lying open on Cara's desk was a certain map..."

Shit shit shit, I was internally cursing myself. I'd forgotten to pick the map up in our haste to find everybody, too caught up in the moment...

"Severus." Remus said quietly, taking a step forward.

"I told Dumbledore time and time again that it was you, Lupin—letting him into the castle, trying to appease Cara I assume as a stupid act of friendship... and I was right!" Snape sounded triumphant.

"Severus you're making a mistake." Mum said calmly, lightly pushing Dad, Sasha and I away from her. She held up her hands, and took a step towards him. "You don't know the full story—my husband isn't here to hurt anybody—"

Snape scoffed. "Not to hurt anybody—I've never heard anything so ridiculous! Cara, if you go quietly I'll allow you to leave with your children and dignity... Meanwhile..." he smirked at Dad and Remus. "There shall be two more for Azkaban tonight."

Mum whipped her wand out, her eyes burning with rage. Now I could see how she'd been part of a secret rebellion against Voldemort—gone was the History teacher and Mother who baked, now all I could see was a fierce lynx cat, teeth bared.

"Severus—don't you dare." Her teeth were bared. "Just because you're bitter at how our friendship ended, doesn't mean you should punish people I care about!"

Snape raised an eyebrow. "Is that what you think?" he shook his head. "No matter, you can have your own assumptions."

With a flick of his wrist, rope shot from the end of his wand, tangling themselves around Remus' wrists and mouth. He fell to the floor in pain, and Sasha rushed to his side, struggling to untie him.

Snape turned onto Dad, his wand pointed directly at his forehead. "Give me a reason." He was breathing heavily. "I'll do it. I swear I'll do it—I don't care how much affection Cara has for you—"

"Lyra." Mum hissed, and she lightly shoved me out of the way. Elijah's arms found me, and he held me back as Mum stood directly in front of Dad. She turned to Snape. "I love him. Don't you dare. I'd die for him."

"Cara—" Dad sounded shocked.

Even Snape seemed shocked, and he lowered his wand a fraction. The tension in the room was as thick as smog, the only noise from Sasha as she cut through Remus' binds with her pen knife.

Hermione, however, took an uncertain step toward Snape and said, in a very breathless voice, "Professor Snape — it wouldn't hurt to hear what they've got to say, w-would it?"

"Miss Granger, you are already facing suspension from this school," Snape spat. "You are all out-of-bounds, in the company of a convicted murderer and a werewolf. For once in your life, hold your tongue."

Hermione's voice was stronger. "But I really think Professor Rees is telling the truth—"

"KEEP QUIET, YOU STUPID GIRL!" Snape shouted, looking suddenly quite deranged, spit dripping down his chin. "DON'T TALK ABOUT WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!"

The floorboards creaked as Dad stood around Mum, gently pushing her behind him. "Once again, you're wrong, Snape." He said quietly. He nodded at Ron. "So long as he brings the rat to the castle—I have no problem here."