Pittsburgh: The Epistle

Returning to work Monday morning was incredibly difficult. I was still jetlagged, angry, and uninterested in writing a story. I couldn't stop thinking of the beautiful blond southerner. And all of it was on top of my actual editing duties. I was exhausted.

I had not written a column in the newspaper for years. I was promoted to editor when I was still young, so I became accustomed to being everyone's boss and insulting their writing. I didn't do it to be cruel. They had to learn, and they eventually did. I was nowhere near as snippy as editor-in-chief Joseph Trohman. My entire issue is completely his fault. Why he couldn't send one of the journalists overseas with Brendon was beyond me. I was home for a day and my deadline was already approaching.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Newspaper editor brutally murders his superior!

There was a knock on my office door, and I looked up from my typewriter, ready to jump out the window.

"Come in," I said with annoyance, hoping to scare whoever it was back to their desk downstairs.

But my door opened anyway, and Brendon Urie was soon standing before my desk. I sighed, relieved that it wasn't a young journalist with questions.

"Top of the morning to you, Peter," Brendon said with a smile.

I stared at him for a moment before replying, "That joke would've made sense if you said it to me when we were in Ireland a while back. Now you just sound like an idiot."

Brendon rolled his eyes and pulled up a chair so he could sit down.

"What can I do for you, Bren?" I asked. "I'm really swamped, here."

"I know, Pete," Brendon said with a nod. "I truly understand your position. Which is why I'm inviting you to see a movie after work tonight. Sarah isn't interested, going alone would be sad, and you deserve a break. My treat."

"Why wouldn't Sarah want to go? She loves films." I thought for a second before a smile took over my lips. "Does this movie happen to star the one Miss Katharine Hepburn?"

Brendon blushed, and I couldn't help but to laugh. He had a crush on Katharine Hepburn since he was a teenager. Even his beautiful wife couldn't shake it.

"Of course, Bren," I agreed. "I will come with you and fuel your unhealthy obsession." Maybe it would help me to get my mind off of Patrick.

"Great," Brendon said with a smile. He put the chair back and threw open my office door. "Good luck with the article, Pe---" We saw the editor-in-chief walking towards the now open door, and Brendon's demeanor completely changed. "Please let me know when you would like my portfolio from our business trip, Mister Wentz."

"Thank you, Mister Urie. I will have Miss Williams call you next week with photo requests."

"Of course." He gave me an exaggerated eye roll as a goodbye, and he nodded at the senior editor. "Good morning, Mister Trohman."

"Get to work, Mister Urie. I'm sure there's a crime scene for you somewhere," Joe said with a sharp tongue.

Brendon pursed his lips but didn't say anything. He turned and went back downstairs.

"What can I help you with, Joe?" I asked. My blinking was slow, and I was sure he could tell that I was ready to pass out from exhaustion.

He dropped a pile of papers on my desk. "I want these read and signed by you before noon tomorrow."

My head felt like it was going to explode. "What is it?" I questioned.

"Mister Armstrong is leaving," Joe said. Suddenly, he was smiling, and I felt one creeping onto my lips, as well. "We're moving up."