Alone

Dash's POV

"Love me or hate me, both are in my favor...If you love me, I'll always be in your heart...If you hate me, I'll always be in your mind."

We had learned that quote in English today. For some reason, I've been thinking about it all day.

It's lunch time. My mum left me last Thursday. Today is Monday, the first day I've been back at school since then.

Ever since that day, I haven't been able to fill the hollow feeling in my chest.

No matter how much fun I have, how happy I am, it just isn't enough. I've never felt this way before. I never want to feel this way ever again. But I can't do anything about it.

The chatter around me is background noise to the pounding in my head, the ringing in my ears. I've lived most my life without my mum, anyway. Why is it so hard now?

I know I'm staring off into space, but I don't really notice what I'm looking at until it starts staring back.

Pinkie blinks and looks away quickly, turning back to her friends.

I almost laugh. They aren't her friends. They're just people she eats with. People she hangs out with. She's not close to any of them.

Unexpected anger surges through me. That little bitch. Who does she think she is, smiling and laughing like every damn thing is the funniest thing in the world? Doesn't she know that not everything is perfect? Not everyone is happy-go-lucky and free? She's so ignorant, so see-through, so pitiful! It's disgusting. She thinks the world is her playground. That she can do anything she wants. That everyone is as cheerful and problem-free as she is!

I don't realize I'm writing until the pencil snaps in my hand. I hastily fold the note into a paper airplane and toss it at Pinkie.

Thanks to my exceptional aim, the airplane hit Pinkie right in the back of her head, lodging itself in her hair. Surprised, she takes the plane and unfolds it. Once she reads it, she looks even more confused. I hadn't signed the note.

I watch as Pinkie hesitantly stands up and makes her way to the girls' bathroom. I glare at the door for a few minutes before suddenly standing.

"I'll be right back," I announce, interrupting another one of Lane's boring racing stories.

Lane just nods before returning to his story, but AJ looks up at me, confused.

"I'm just going to the bathroom," I assure her.

I try to look as casual as I can as I walk into the girls' restroom.

One thing I've always liked about the cafeteria restrooms: The bathrooms have back doors that lead to a trail behind the school, making it super easy to skip classes. All the students know about it. Either the staff doesn't know, or just doesn't care. Either way is fine with me.

I stalk to the back door, take a deep breath, and ease it open quietly.

The sky is overcast and dark. I'm guessing it'll start raining before school ends, but I don't really care. I have more important matters to attend to.

Pinkie is standing kind of off into the trail, right where the note told her to go. She's looking in the other direction. She's holding the note and flipping it over nervously.

The note also didn't mention why I wanted her here.

The door creaks shut behind me. Pinkie looks up, but I'm already on her, grabbing her shoulders and shoving her into the tree next to her.