1. headquarters

Hospital sounds mixed with hushed voices of people talking amidst groans, cries, coughs, fill the hallways of the 16th floor of Holy Mercies Hospital. It is a small hospital unit within a military camp just in
the outskirts of the city.

Dei Mendoza is a 22 year old army lieutenant and nurse. She just graduated from the academy but chose to work at the military hospital after earning her nursing degree. Aside from aspiring to be a nurse since childhood, Dei also wanted to be a soldier. Her family, especially her father, was against her chosen profession and only agreed for her to continue working and using her nursing skills if she worked in a less-risky field at the hospital. Although trained for combat, Dei was happy with her job. She found happiness and fulfillment in the challenges of her work.

“Paging Lt. Mendoza…Dei Mendoza…please proceed to Dr. Flores’ office immediately!” the PA system blared just as Ivan, an attendant, gave Dei a slip of paper.

“Ayan na…pinapatawag ka ni Doc Flores.” Ivan said.

“Bakit kaya?” Dei said as she took the paper and stood up from the nurses’ station of the 16th floor. She nodded to Ms. Teresa, her supervisor, who acknowledged her.

“…pinapatawag po daw ako?” Dei said to Rose, Dr. Flores’ secretary.

Rose looked up from her work, “Mendoza?”

“Opo”

“…pumasok ka na…”Rose said after calling thru the intercom.

“Thank you po”

“Good afternoon, Sir!” Dei said as she stood straight in the middle of the room. Her military training reminded her to always be formal especially to those with ranked officers.

“Mendoza?” Dr. Flores turned his office chair to face Dei.

“Yes, Sir. Dei Mendoza po  Good afternoon, sir.”

“Good afternoon. Maupo ka”

Dei sat on the chair infront of Dr.  Flores.

“We’ve reviewed your records and you’ve been recommended foer work in the field..”

“Po? Sa camp, sir?”

"Oo. As you know, fighting has intensified in the mountains..."

"Opo...yun nga po ang balita sa TV..."

"They need more personnel in the infirmary unit at our base in Sikatuna..."

"Sa bundok, sir..."

"Oo, sa bundok. Yung infirmary nasa gitna nung bundok...yung giyera nasa bandang taas lang...dito, protektado ng mga tao natin yung area..." Dr. Flores explained while pointing to a map on the wall. "...alam kong takot ang mga magulang mo pero trabaho din natin ang gamutin at alagaan ang mga sundalo natin.."

"Opo"

"...kaya kung ready ka na, we will start sending personnel to Sikatuna as early as Thursday morning..."

"Three days from today, sir?" Dei thought hard. She had always wanted to work in the field. During her college years, she always looked forward to volunteer work at medical missions. Her parents were proud of their daughter being very selfless but they still felt worried for her safety. "Opo sir! Handa na po ako!"

"Good! You, along with the other personnel, will be briefed and trained beginning at 0800H tomorrow morning. The chopper that will take you to Sikatuna will leave at 0400H on Thursday."

"Sir, yes sir!"