13. relations

Nina entered their room and saw Dei in bed still in her scrubs. She found this unusual because she knew how Dei was when it came to cleanliness. She always fought with Nina when the latter left her things around the room. Dei was also uncomfortable when people sat on the bed in their outside clothes.

“…okay ka lang? Maliligo na ako…ikaw?”

Dei didn’t reply so Nina went to the bathroom to shower. When Nina returned to the room, she saw Dei at her desk, working. Dei held her head with her hand as she worked. She was also sniffling. Nina concernedly felt Dei’s neck and confirmed her suspicion.

“Ang init mo, Bes..naulanan ka no?”

“Okay lang ako…kaya ko to…besides, bukas na kami mag t try tumayo unassisted. Nasasanay na si Rj suotin yung prosthetic leg nya e…”

“Hmm…hindi ba pwede i-reschedule nalang yan sa ibang araw? Magpahinga ka naman…”

“Okay na ako…uminom na ako ng gamot…bukas, okay na ako ulit…” Dei said and brought her towel to the bathroom to get ready for the night.

“Magshower ka tapos tuyuin mo nalang yung hair mo bago ka lumabas ng banyo. Gamitin mo yung hair dryer ko…”

“Salamat...” Dei said. She took a bath, dried her hair, and was soon fast asleep after taking medicine. She slightly sweated in the middle of the night but it wasn’t enough to break her fever.

By morning, despite Nina’s protesting against Dei’s stubbornness, Dei went to Rj’s unit to work.

“Yes? This is General Mendoza. Who is this please?”

“Good evening, Sir. I am Richard Faulkerson, Jr. I am Dei’s patient.”

“Oh. Kamusta si Dei? Anong kailangan mo?”

“Sir…sabi po kasi ni Dei na we’re supposed to have lunch with you tomorrow…”

“Yes, I always look forward to Sundays with Dei. Alam mo naman, na wala na ang Lola nya at malalayo din ang mga pinsan nya kaya si Dei lang ang nagpapasaya sa akin…”

“Opo. Pero Sir, hindi po makakapunta si Dei bukas…”

“Diba Sunday ang day-off nya? Wala naman syang nababanggit na pagbabago sa schedule nya…”

“…may lagnat po kasi sya…”

“Huh?”

“Dumating po sya dito kaninang umaga para mag-asikaso sa akin pero nakatulog sya habang nagpapahinga…” Rj recounted what had happened. He also mentioned about having Dei stay overnight. It was raining outside. “…baka po lalong lumalala ang lagnat nya kung maglakad pa sya pabalik sa quarters nila…”

“...tama…tama…keep her warm and comfortable nalang…salamat sa pag-aalala…”

“You’re welcome, Sir…”

“Hijo?”

“Po?”

“Tell me more about yourself…nililigawan mo ba si Dei? Sabi kasi nya na meron syang manliligaw at sa pag-uusap natin, I think ikaw yun…”

Rj shared about himself with the General. The General was known to be strict and stern but in the course of their conversation, Rj found the General quite warm and fatherly. He cared very much for the people he was close to and was just being protective.

“Young man, I appreciate your care and concern for my Apo.”

“Dei has been nothing but special to me, Sir. Maalaga po sya. Nahihiya na nga ako kasi ilang buwan na, parang bata pa rin akong inaalagaan ni Dei. That’s why I’m trying my best at my therapies para bumalik ako sa dati…”

“That’s good…”

“Sir…”

“Yes?”

“Sabi din kasi ni Dei, I should ask your permission kung pwede ko po syang ligawan at kung suswertehin, maging girlfriend…May I court your granddaughter?”

“…I appreciate your courage and candidness. Thank you for letting me know about Dei. Salamat at tinanong mo din ako. Kokonti nalang ang lalakeng magpapaalam o kakausapin ng pormal ang pamilya ng kaibigan at nililigawan nila. Basta, mag promise ka sa akin na aalagaan mo at di pababayaan o sasaktan si Dei, okay ka sa akin…”

“Opo. I promise to take care of her. I want to show her that I can also take care of her or even more than how she has taken care of me. Thank you, Sir…”

“You’re most welcome, Faulkerson..”

“Rj po”

“Rj…Rj?”

“Sir?”

“Lolo…Lolo Teddy…”