2. enemy lines

Sounds of gunfire and explosions occasionally cut through the silence of early dawn. Sergeant Richard Faulkerson, Jr. led his men through enemy infested areas in the mountains. Their base was known as ‘Sikatuna’.

“...stay low and alert…” He instructed as they stealthily moved approached a small village which had about 20 houses and a common square in the middle.

“Coach, two o’clock…” Pardo, his right hand man, spotted one man pick up a sack from a corner of a house.

Richard and his men patrolled the area days before so they were familiar with the residents. This man was not familiar. Richard motioned Andres to observe the man.
“…ten o’clock” Pardo said again as he saw another man ransack a house which appeared empty.
“..looters…” Richard said under his breath and Pardo motioned to the others to observe.

Not long after, more unfamiliar men approached the village. The women started gathering the children who began crying in panic. The men started burning the houses after ransacking through them and getting whatever they wanted.
“..ang mga bata!” Richard called out as his men moved to secure the area. “Pardo, you and Santos take the women and kids to safety…Cruz, Martinez, dito tayo sa kabila…”

Richard and his men moved quickly. An exchange of rapid gunfire caused injury to some of the enemies. Two of Richard’s men were hit as well.

Amidst the gunfire, one of the enemies threw an IED close to where Richard was crouched down. It fell and exploded near him, causing shrapnel to hit his leg. In his struggle to move away when the bomb fell, Richard has also fractured his arm.

Fortunately, no lives from Richard’s troop were lost Although most of them were injured, they were able to return security and peace in the little village.

Richard had always been the rebellious type. As a boy, he always got into trouble that his parents were losing hope. His uncle suggested that they send the young boy to military camp. The first year was a struggle for the young Richard, socially. Although he got good grades, he struggled with his social skills and was a bully. He avoided his responsibilities and chores. He hated being told what to do. However, despite his mean streak, he was drawn to Mang Danny, one of the academy’s senior custodians.
After several weeks of bullying Mang Danny, Richard noticed that the old man never complained nor reported Richard to his superiors. Mang Danny always had his toothless smile ready for Richard everyday. He sat quietly and listened when Richard started telling him about his day. Richard became more drawn to Mang Danny over the next few weeks and everyone noticed that he was soon mellowing down and becoming more responsible. He also began treating people better.

When Richard graduated from the academy, he made sure that Mang Danny would continue to have a good life. He sent a portion of his salary to Mang Danny and his family. Although his parents could not fully understand why, they were grateful that Richard finally found his purpose in life as well as learning to be a better person.