- tea break -

There's only one contact in my phone and that's Sunny's school. So when I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket in the middle of a lecture, I panicked. The vibration stopped and I figured it was a text so I relaxed slightly, but still panicking. When I got the chance to get away with it, I got my phone out and read the text, sighing in relief at the content.

"There will be a parents-teacher assembly this Friday at 9 am at the school's gym. All parents are required to come, please make the proper preparations to not miss it."

I took a deep breath and place my phone back in the pocket.

-✪-

While we walked back home, Sunny told me about her day.

"And Jim said his mom is excited to meet mine!"

I froze and widened my eyes. Sunny's mom won't attend the meeting... I battled on whether to cry out of the frustration I feel or tell Sunny that we won't go to the meeting because I planned to go on a trip with her that day. But during the 10 seconds of panic I went through, she already had her own answer.

"So I told him my mom won't go but my dad will! and dad is the best!"

I didn't really plan on crying but I felt how my vision blurred slightly as I heard her answer. I know how much she misses her mom. I know she looks at the kids who are with their moms and feels sad, I saw her crying that day. I can feel the loneliness irradiating from her. No matter how much I try to be both her dad and mom, I know it won't fulfil the emptiness she feels.

I kneel down in front of her and smile sadly, making her tilt her head to the side. I gently place my hands on her cheeks and kiss her forehead. I can feel the tears falling from my eyes and the trails left along my cheeks.

She gasps and cleans them, muttering "no!" and "dad!" and I can't help but chuckle and hug her close.

"Your dad will try his best to impress Jim's mom."

She giggled in my arms and excitedly replied, "Yeah! Sunny will do her best too!"

God, please, I just want to make my daughter happy.