Chapter 5

Anna's POV

"...and Kyle finally got a girlfriend, can you believe that?" 

"No way," I said, sitting up straighter. "Who?"

"Amanda Witman. The one and only. Hard to believe, isn't it? "James said. I was having breakfast by myself in the small cafe down the block from my aunt's apartment. I've been on the phone with James for almost an hour now. 

I laughed. "He finally found the courage to ask Amanda out? Our little boy's all grown up." 

James chuckled. "Shockingly, she asked him out. They went to the movies last night." 

"Unbelievable," I muttered, taking a bite out of my croissant. I've always wanted to go to France. Maybe someday with James. 

The bell on the door rang, indicating that a new customer had arrived. I didn't even glance up. "At least we don't have to hear anymore sappy romantic fantasies of Kyle's. He finally has his princess." 

James agreed. "So how's London?" he asked, changing the topic. I shrugged to no one. 

"It's great. Fairly cold and rainy, but that's London weather. You'll never guess who I ran into yesterday." 

"Johnny Depp?" he guessed. I rolled my eyes.

"My mum said the same thing. No, dork, I ran into Asa Butterfield. Remember I was telling you about him?" 

James stayed quiet for a moment before he snapped his fingers. "Yeah! The guy in that one sci-fi movie? Didn't you say you were childhood friends with him? Because that's pretty cool." 

I smiled. "Yeah, that one." I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around to see who it was. "Well speak of the devil," I said, grinning. "It's Asa." 

Asa's hair was messier than usual today and he was wearing a deep blue sweater that complimented his sky blue eyes. He was smiling down at me with a cup of what I guessed was tea. 

"Asa's there?" I heard James say. I waved Asa to sit across from me. He did as he was motioned. 

"Yeah. Want to say hello?" I asked James. He said sure and I put him on speaker, placing my phone in between Asa and me. 

"You're on speaker," I told James, leaning back and smiling at Asa. I was so glad that they could finally meet, even if it was over the phone. 

"Asa? Hi," James greeted, and my smile grew. There was a small hum of voices around us. 

"Hello?" Asa replied, raising an eyebrow at me. "Who is this?" 

"Hi, ah, my name's James. I'm Anna's boyfriend." 

Asa gave a tight smile, taking a sip from his drink. "James. Yes, Anna's been talking nonstop about you. Lucky boy, you are." 

James chuckled. "Yeah, I am. I loved your latest movie by the way. It was great. Anna and I watched it together."

Asa nodded numbly. "Thank you. I enjoyed that role."

"You were great," James repeated. "Hey, I gotta go. It's getting late and my mom's taking me out tomorrow morning to meet some of her old high school friends. It was really great meeting you Asa." 

"You too," Asa mumbled, looking at me. I smiled at him. 

"I'll call you again tonight, Anna. Bye, love you," James said. I said 'I love you' back and hung up. I took the last bite of my croissant and smiled at Asa. 

"Well? What do you think?" Did Asa like him? 

He only shrugged. "He seems really nice," he replied, taking another sip of his tea. I frowned slightly.