Chapter 3

Asa's POV

Well..shit, I immediately thought. When she came into view, a billion of emotions swirled within me at once. I couldn't grasp at one, so I sat there staring at her. 

Honestly? She was beyond gorgeous. I had always loved her chocolate brown hair, and now she grew it out in waves. Flawless. And her eyes... They were such a soft brown that made me want to melt.  

...Shit. 

Anna frowned a bit, taking a small step back. "I'm sorry, my apologies. I just thought that - ah - you were someone else," she mumbled, turning around. Every muscle in my body screamed as I reached for her hand. 

"Wait - no - Anna," I stuttered, dropping my book. The Catcher in the Rye, a classic. Also my fifth time reading it. 

I couldn't make out her expression, and as I began to open my mouth to blurt what could have inevitably been a stupid comment, she grinned her perfect grin and tackled me into a hug. She smelled like a summer breeze. 

"Asa!" she exclaimed, laughing. I wrapped my arms around her waist and held her close. I couldn't help but grin ear to ear. She didn't let go for another few minutes. When she did, it was hesitant.

I opened my mouth to say something but was interrupted by the blasted girl again. She was always a talkative one. It was a blessing and a curse.

"What is wrong with you?" she yells, slapping my arm. I winced, rubbing it. I raised an eyebrow at her, utterly confused. 

"I beg your pardon?" 

"Not one video call or message? Not even a letter?" she exclaims, hitting me again. I held up my hands in surrender, stepping away from her. As much as I hated to admit it, those hits actually stung a bit. 

"I've been busy," I state lamely. I didn't know what else to say. After she moved away to a whole new country, I didn't think we would see each other again. I sent one or two messages asking how she was, but then I just dropped it there. I didn't see our relationship going anywhere with the whole long distance situation. 

But in addition to that, I had fallen madly in love with Anna. 

We were childhood best friends. We were constantly playing with each other, even when we became geeky teenagers. She never left my side. And soon enough, I began to develop feelings for her. 

Unfortunately, the day I was going to confess, she announced with tears that her mum had gotten a new job in America and it was necessary for them to move. I felt like it was the end of the world.

Ever since she made that announcement, we swore to each other that we wouldn't let it affect our friendship. She reminded me every day about the pinky promise we made when we were little. I was deeply upset, but I never showed it. 

Now, with Anna standing right in front of me, I realized that none of those feelings ever went away. Buried, yes. But gone? Not even the slightest. 

Anna rolled her eyes. "You are unbelievable," she muttered. "'I've been busy'," she mocked, glaring at him. "We promised to talk with each other! No matter what." 

I knew she was talking about my acting career. When I played Bruno in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Anna came on set with me every day for support. She also enjoyed the free muffins she received from the cast and crew. 

Then I landed the part as Hugo, and Anna was still there supporting me. Ender's Game was my favorite movie that I had ever acted in. I was quite obsessed with the role. It's currently reaching its end in the theatres, later to be sold on DVD.